(Graphic by Honey Kim)

A superfood is a food that is rich in nutrients and is beneficial for one’s health and well-being. It is important to purchase these foods when they are in season, as this is when they are at their freshest and so maximum health benefits can be obtained.

Listed below are some summer seasonal superfoods worth trying, according to the website of nutrition and health expert Joy Bauer and Medical News Today, an Internet health care publication.

Additional information about the seasonal availability of the foods was provided by the Ottawa Farmers’ Market website.

Asparagus

Asparagus is in season from the end of April to June and reduces the risk of diabetes by improving insulin secretion, beta cell function, and antioxidant status. It also helps flush out the kidneys, preventing the formation of kidney stones, and contains almost half of a person’s recommended daily intake of folate, which is important for growth, especially in developing babies, and the formation of red and white blood cells, a lack of which may result in a person developing anemia.

Blueberries

Blueberries are in season from May to October. They are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive chemicals that have the potential to cause cell damage that may eventually lead to cancer, according to the American Cancer Association.

Cherries

Cherries are most abundant from the month of May to the month of August. Not only are they bite-sized and fun to eat, but they are also rich in the antioxidant anthocyanin, which helps fight inflammation and ease joint pain.

Strawberries

Strawberries are in season in Ontario from June to July. They are also high in anthocyanin, which can additionally protect people from sun damage. The power of this antioxidant lasts up to 24 hours, which makes it an excellent defence against free radical damage. Strawberries are also high in potassium, which has been shown to reduce bone loss by preserving calcium stores and preventing the breakdown of bone that comes with age. This fruit contains more than the daily recommended intake of vitamin C. Recent studies have shown that when vitamin C is consumed during times of stress, it has the ability to lower a person’s blood pressure to a normal level.

Tomatoes

Tomatoes are in season from late June to September and are given their red colour by the antioxidant lycopene, which, according to the American Cancer Association, prevents certain cancers including prostate, lung, and stomach cancer.

Watermelon 

Watermelon is in season from June to September. It is composed of 92 per cent water, which allows for eaters of this fruit to stay hydrated during hot and humid summer days. It acts as an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and fibre, according to a recent Huffington Post article. Vitamin A prevents eye problems, promotes a healthy immune system, and is important for the growth and development of cells. Vitamin C is required for normal growth and development, and helps to boost the body’s immunity while fibre helps maintain a healthy digestive system.