Carleton submitted three teams of three players in the sabre, epee, and foil for both the women’s and men’s sides. Photo by Callum Micucci

It was a successful weekend for the fencing team, as they hosted an invitational at Carleton in preparation for the Ontario University Athletics championships in February.

The tournament featured teams and clubs from Bracebridge to Brock, as teams in the OUA came to evaluate the competition.

Carleton submitted three teams of three players in the sabre, epee, and foil for both the women’s and men’s sides. Each team also features one alternative athlete in case of injuries.

While many tournaments feature individual competitions, coach Eli Sekunda decided to hold Carleton’s in a team format to better mirror OUA Championship conditions.

“It was a really good warm up,” Sekunda said.

In championships, points are recorded in a combination of individual and team results.

If it was any preview of what’s to come, then the fencing team should be happy.

In the women’s category, the team finished first in epee, second in foil, and fifth in the sabre category.

“They really came through,” Sekunda said. “Our sabre could be better but we have four weeks to shape them up.”

Gillian Turnbull, Isabelle Gauthier, Emese Dukai and Ayesha Landon-Browne were on the winning epee team.

The women’s foil team, which finished second, was Jenn Dunev, Brittny Vongdara, Anna York-Lyon and Olivia Seto.

The men’s team finished fifth in foil and epee and sixth in sabre.

“The men’s team is a work in progress, it’s a rebuilding year. We’re now not as strong with the loss of [Alecs],” Sekunda said.

Competition on the men’s side was marred by an freak accident involving Alecs Tudor in the foil category.

While fencing, a sword cut his hand – going through his glove – and he’ll miss the rest of the season.

“There was blood dripping out like a faucet,” Sekunda said.

The OUA Championships will take place in February, with Carleton hosting the men’s division and Brock holding the women’s.