The three master's students created a digital rendering of what the fountain will look like once installed.

On the 103rd anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, three Carleton University architecture students won a national design contest for the installation of a new water feature at the heart of the Vimy Foundation Centennial Park in France. 

Entitled The Ridge: To Venerate A Buried History, the minimalistic fountain was designed by the combined talents of master’s students Scott Normand, Brendan Dyck, and Kevin Complido. 

“What made The Ridge stand out from other designs was its use of echo chambers and agitators below the surface which reverberate the sound of flowing water to create a contemplative environment in the Park,” reads a press release by The Vimy Foundation and the Love Family Foundation — both of which are funding the project.

“We didn’t want to detract from the gravity of being in that space or to detract from the monument itself, which is extremely valuable and moving,” Normand said of the fountain. 

Dyck said their overall intention was to preserve the tranquility of the site, while highlighting the auditory element of the fountain.

“We didn’t want to take away from the site, we just wanted to add a little bit to the experience of the space,” Dyck said.

“It engages with the importance of what’s been buried over time in the scars of the landscape and draws attention to the importance of that history,” he added.

Carleton University architectural department director, Jill Stoner, praised the students for their innovative design in a written statement.

“I’m delighted to have a team from our school win this opportunity,” Stoner said. “Their design reflects the visceral power of water to embody elemental connections between memory and landscape.”

Beyond artistic accomplishment, winning the contest is also a part of history.

Dr. Tim Cook, author of Vimy: The Battle and the Legend and an adjunct research professor at Carleton University, said “Vimy was more than a battle,” when referring to the importance of the historic site. 

“Vimy, for many Canadians, and it is important to say many and not all, remains an important symbol,” Dr. Cook said. “Vimy became the symbol for the entire war effort and this symbol has been with us for over a hundred years — it really is a part of our shared history as Canadians.”

He added the historic Vimy Ridge site takes on new significance with each generation. 

“The Vimy legend is one made, and remade, imagined, and reimagined with each generation — and it is one that continues to draw us to this place which is very far from Canada, but feels very much like a part of Canada,” Dr. Cook said.

Normand said he feels privileged to contribute to the site’s ever-growing story.

“I definitely see the gravity of this space and of this as a bonding moment for the nation during the First World War, so it is an extreme honour to be able to contribute to that history,” said Normand. 

The water feature is set to be installed this summer and unveiled in The Vimy Foundation Centennial Park during the fall, but Normand said this timeline may be delayed due to COVID-19.

Featured image provided by Scott Normand.