Photo by Trevor Swann.

Student protesters interrupted a Carleton senate meeting on March 18 to voice concerns over the development of a new sexual assault policy for the university.

The protest was organized in part by Lauren Montgomery, a graduate student and women’s caucus chair of CUPE 4600, and associate professor Dawn Moore, faculty member in the Department of Law and Legal Studies.

Montgomery said she is enthusiastic about Bill 132, the first provincially-mandated sexual violence legislation for post-secondary institutions, but said she thinks it does not go far enough.

“Sexual assault policy needs to centre on survivors and victims, have community oversight, universal coverage, and give attention to prevention and not only reaction,” Montgomery said.

The development of a new sexual violence policy is the result of Bill 132 of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. It declares that the provincial government will not tolerate any form of sexual act that target a person’s sexuality or gender identity, whether threatened, attempted, or committed.

While the new legislation requires universal coverage, aspects such as civilian oversight and prevention tactics are lacking, Montgomery said. She said she recommends the new sexual violence policy should include an acknowledgement of the rape culture that exists in post-secondary institutions.

Montgomery said she believes Carleton has a negative record dealing with sexual violence and gives little funding to equity groups on campus.

“We do not want to follow the bare minimum anymore. This is our chance to go beyond what the government calls for,” she said.

The current Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy covers a wide breadth of actions, including actions which interfere with academic or employee relations, physical and verbal actions (including electronic means), and lists many forms of behaviour it considers harassment.

It outlines that Equity Services is responsible for the implementation of the policy and individuals who have been sexually assaulted can contact University Safety, Equity Services, Health and Counselling services, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, or the police. They may also initiate a request for action or complaint via the Human Rights Conflict Resolution and Complaint Procedure.

University administration made a statement explaining that while Bill 132 was passed on March 8, there has been an extensive consultation process for the last year to develop a new sexual assault policy to be unveiled in the coming fall term.

“Equity Services, with the help of an external consultant, has led discussions with a 25-member committee comprised of students, staff, and faculty members,” according to the statement.

However, Montgomery said she thinks there is more work to be done and more money can be spent on the policy.

“If this surplus funding exists, then every time it is not provided in support of these services it is a choice,” Montgomery said. “Why not use it?”