Jack.org hosted a panel at Rooster’s Coffeehouse to discuss mental health issues facing the transgender community on Nov. 14.

According to the official Facebook event, the panel featured four speakers: Cameron Rose Jette, a non-binary trans student and mental health advocate with Jack.org; Fae Johnstone, a queer non-binary and transfeminine community organizer, public speaker and advocate on LGBTQ+ identities and mental health; Leyla Shahid, a masters graduate who has just begun working with Foundations and Pathways Ottawa program; and RJ, a Saulteaux–Cree two spirit, non-binary and queer multimedia artist and gender and sexuality educator.

According to Carleton’s chapter of jack.org, the organization is a network of young people working to end the stigma surrounding mental health and to better the lives of young people .

Jette played an integral role in organizing the event. They noted that trans mental health is a particularly underrepresented discussion. Having been involved with Jack.org in the past, Jette said they were driven to bring the discussion of trans mental health to Carleton.

Johnstone responded with their experiences as an advocate for the LGBTQ+ community and mental health. They brought attention to issues of suicide and self-harm in the trans community, and emphasized the importance of inclusive support services. They also underscored the importance of resiliency when it comes to mental health.

One attendee, who identified themself as Faelan, said the onus of education often falls on the person seeking help in therapy settings. Jette said that trans folks feel the impact when having to educate others and being misgendered.

“I’m here to seek help, I’m not here to educate you,” RJ said.

Their particular interest lies in the intersection of Indigenous culture and mental health and service accessibility.

Two attendees who identified themselves as Jacklyne and Jasper, highlighted the lack of resources for the LGBTQ+ community, and how this event helped to serve as a gathering for important discussion.

Jasper noted the importance of students coping with heavy workloads and the need to prioritize wellness and well-being. They underlined that for those who deal with mental health issues, it is often the case that invisible outward symptoms of mental health are not as easily understood by others.
Jacklyne added the need for education of trans mental health, particularly with other services on campus.

Another attendee named Charana noted the significance of discussing mental health issues in specific communities. Charana drew attention to the fact that while these issues of trans mental health may be talked about on the student level, that concrete action should be taken too.

Specifically, Charana advocated for the Carleton University Students’ Association and the university administration to address these issues through effective policy.

Photo by Jas Foong