Members of the Humanitarian Organization of Latin American Students (HOLAS) have been spotted on campus raising money for aid organizations after multiple earthquakes hit Mexico, leaving many people dead, injured, or homeless.

The first in the series of earthquakes hit on Sept. 8 off the southern Pacific coast and reached a magnitude of 8.1, killing almost 100 people. Since then, three earthquakes have hit various parts of Mexico with over a 6.0 magnitude, according to a CNN article.

According to HOLAS’ website, the organization aims to bring together a community of students interested in raising awareness and providing aid to “humanitarian issues in Latin America.”

Cassandra Ambar, the president of HOLAS, said the organization has been collecting funds and raising awareness about the immense destruction the earthquakes have caused.

“It’s our duty to help those in Latin America,” she said.

She added that at least 10 people in HOLAS—including herself—have connections to victims in Mexico.  

Ambar said they have been tabling every day on campus since Sept. 21 and have raised about $800 so far. The money raised from tabling will be sent to the Brigada de Rescate Internacional Cancún (BRIC), a rescue team originating from Cancún that is working to help support victims in Mexico.

Graphic by Mariam Abdel-Akher

HOLAS is also promoting a fundraiser that will be happening on Oct. 6 at Ottawa City Hall.

“We partnered up with the Mexican Association here in Ottawa to create a really big fundraiser. [It will be] a fun family fair for anyone who is willing to come out, have a good time, and donate,” she said, adding that the event will include games, food and performances.

According to Ambar, HOLAS has not yet decided where the money fundraised at this event will go.

“It’s either going to the rescue team we’re tabling for right now, or it’s going to be going to a program that Mexico has started to adopt villages in different parts of [the country],” she said.

Greg Aulenback, the manager of strategies initiatives at the International Student Services Office (ISSO), said in an email that all exchange students from Carleton studying in Mexico are safe.

“For students studying at Carleton, whenever a tragic event occurs internationally, we reach out to students from that area to connect them with the supports and services they may need,” he said.

He added that there are 53 students with Mexican citizenship who are currently studying at Carleton.

Abraham Bonilla, a HOLAS member and fourth-year political science student at Carleton, grew up in Puebla, Mexico. He said many of the buildings he associated with his childhood have now been destroyed.

Bonilla said he first heard about the earthquakes through the news, and was initially unable to reach his family. He said a close friend of his was not heard from for four hours.

“I was really scared,” Bonilla said.

Bonilla and Ambar are urging students to continue sending their support to the victims in Mexico by donating whatever they can.

Despite the destruction in Mexico, Bonilla said he was pleased to see the love and support Mexicans are giving each other through the aftermath.

“I am very proud to be Mexican right now,” he said.

Photo by Meagan Casalino