Photo by Zachary Novack.

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) recently received a donation toward its bursary fund from StudentCare, the network that provides student health insurance services.

The donation totals $25,000, and will be added to CUSA’s bursary fund for students. The donation is coming at a critical time, as the health plan is being renegotiated with CUSA this year.

CUSA president Folarin Odunayo said this donation proves CUSA’s commitment to students, and it helps all students.

“Some of our biggest critics will say that we don’t believe in that—well, yes we do. We’re all students here, we’re all paying the same fees, so we’re so excited that we can help 10 students every year at the very minimum in perpetuity.”

Odunayo would not comment further on the timing of the bursary donation.

StudentCare declined to comment or provide details about the donation.

CUSA and StudentCare are currently renegotiating the health care plan, after CUSA made a controversial switch from the Canadian Federation of Students’ Morneau Shepell plan about two years ago.

StudentCare agreed to match the Morneau Shepell rates when they made the switch, in addition to a discount.

CUSA signed on with Desjardins StudentCare on a five-year contract, with rates fixed for the first two years.

When the plan is renegotiated, Odunayo said it will be configured to better reflect student needs.

“Where we’re at with students right now is asking them ‘Do you want more vision? Do you want more dental?’ ” Odunayo said.

A statement about the donation has not yet been released, although Odunayo said the bursary has been in the works for approximately a month.