Mayor Watson said he will meet with the Ottawa Student Transit Coalition to discuss the age restriction Sept. 10. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

Ottawa’s seven student associations have continued protesting the city policy placing an age restriction on monthly student transit passes.
Those over 19 are not eligible for the $78.75 student pass, and must pay the adult price of $98.75 if they want to purchase a monthly transit pass.

The actions of the the Ottawa Student Transit Coalition, which includes the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA), have escalated from letters of petition to city council and the mayor, to protests early August along OC Transpo routes.

Ottawa mayor Jim Watson responded to the protests and concerns of the student unions and said the term “student pass” is a misnomer.
He said it should be called a youth pass, as the transit pass is meant for high school students.

Watson said he stands by Diane Deans, the chair of the city’s transit commission, in her comments in an Ottawa Citizen article saying the age restriction is here to stay.

However he said he is willing to discuss the matter.

“We’re more than willing to look at a summer version of the U-Pass,” Watson said.

He said the pass would only cover full-time summer students and the solution must be revenue-neutral.

During the fall and winter semesters monthly bus passes become less relevant for full-time post-secondary students at Carleton University, the University of Ottawa, and St. Paul’s University, who begin using the U-Pass.

However, monthly bus passes may still be used by students at Algonquin College, La Cité Collégiale, part-time students, and summer students, who are not part of the U-Pass program.

Watson commented on Algonquin College and La Cité Collégiale’s not participating, and said the city has suggested they hold a referendum to let students decide whether or not to initiate the U-Pass program.

“That would solve their problem, because the U-Pass, it’s for all full-time students regardless of age,” he said.

Watson said he will meet with the Ottawa Student Transit Coalition to discuss the age restriction Sept. 10.

Gina Parker, CUSA vice-president (student issues), said she will be at the meeting and plans to bring forward the concerns students have regarding the lack of a monthly transit discount for university students during the summer.

“CUSA thinks that a student is a student, regardless of their age, and they should be eligible for their discounted rate,” she said.