The University of Ottawa (U of O) launched its newest institute, the Security and Policy Institute of Professional Development, on Sept. 10.

In a media advisory published two days prior, the university explained that the institute will provide “a unique professional development program for decision makers working in the public, para-public, and private sectors, whose responsibilities require them to pay particular attention to national and international security issues.”

Anne-Marie Roy, president of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO), expressed frustration towards the university for neglecting to consult the student union regarding the institute’s formation.

“It is incredibly concerning that students were not informed,” Roy said.

“The University Senate oversees all academic matters on campus, and the Board of Governors modifies all decisions of the senate. Both have elected student representatives, and neither was informed of the creation of the new institute. The university did not follow proper procedures,” she said.

According to Serge Blais, director of the University of Ottawa’s Centre for Continuing Education, this initiative is targeted to people off-campus, for post-university training.

“This is training offered to people who are on the job, and have been on the job for several years. It is not geared towards on-campus students,” he said. “Students will eventually use these services once they graduate. These are ongoing professional development courses.”

Blais said he met with the SFUO on Sept. 11.

“They said that our meeting brought a lot of clarification to the situation,” he said.

The media advisory did not mention details regarding funding of the institute. Circulating online rumours claimed there was outside funding, according to Roy, and brought about concerns regarding corporatization of academia.

Blais said the institute is run on a “cost-recovery basis.”

“The Centre of Continuing Education does not take money from the university, nor does it get money from government,” explained Blais. “Everything we do is completely self-financed. The price attendees pay for workshops is what covers the costs of said workshops. None of the regular funding of the university, which includes government money and tuition fee money, is used.”

However, he explained that there were two small corporate sponsors, not partners, to cover the cost of a guest speaker at the launch event on Sept. 10.

Gabrielle Ross-Marquette, external commissioner of U of O’s Graduate Students’ Association, said she still has reservations.

“We are still concerned to learn about the lack of accountability in the creation of programs under the umbrella of professional development,” said Ross-Marquette. “These programs do not have to be approved by the regular processes of the university, such as the senate and the Board of Governors.”