A Carleton student was mugged near the Museum of Civilization at about 10:30 p.m. Sept. 17, according to the Ottawa Citizen.

Jesse Kilvington, 18, a first-year student at Carleton, was walking along the Ottawa River with a friend after having a few drinks at a Gatineau pub. The pair was attacked by five people who ran up to them from the woods near the Portage Bridge, according to Sgt. Paul Lafontaine of the Gatineau Police Department.

One of the men in the group, which consisted of three men and two women, demanded that Kilvington and his friend empty their wallets, according to the Citizen. The attacker then wrapped a steel chain around Kilvington’s friend’s neck before they could hand over their money.

However, Kilvington’s friend struggled and managed to free himself from the chain, and both men ran across the bridge.

Kilvington placed a call to 911 at 10:40 p.m., and police officers arrived on the scene in less than two minutes, Lafontaine said.

Police cruisers were posted around the park, and four of the attackers were apprehended in the area.

Three of the attackers were minors; a male and two females. The male, a 16-year-old boy, was charged with armed robbery, according to the Citizen.

The adult male and two females could be charged as accomplices if there is additional investigation on the file, Lafontaine said.

The Gatineau police deserves to be applauded for their quick response to his call, Kilvington told the Citizen.