As a new semester begins, student artists at Carleton are balancing their passion for art with the importance of studies. For some, their art supplements their income and helps pay for rising university costs.

Aakrist Dongol, a Carleton student and the designer behind online clothing brand Seam Reaper Studios, said his art helps with the stresses of school.

Through sharing their work on Instagram, student artists have been able to generate some income while being in school and working part-time. However, turning the side hustle into a full-on business proves difficult while managing university at the same time.

“I’m still learning pricing and the business side of it,” said Paloma Callo, a painter, Carleton student and graphics editor at the Charlatan.

A painting by Callo. [Photo provided]

“I’m not super invested in the commitment of making my art a lucrative business right now because my focus is lent to the creative process and other time commitments.”

Dongol said he does not concentrate on finding or selling to specific markets. “I think it’s a waste of time, at least at this stage. I only make clothing that I would wear. Otherwise, I think it loses its integrity. As the saying goes, ‘build it and they will come.’”

The price of each garment depends on the time commitment, which can vary from between three to 15 hours total, added Dongol. “The possibility of making a living doing what I love is always enticing. I truly enjoy making each piece and get satisfaction from birthing a brand-new garment never before seen,” he continued.

At Seam Reaper Studios, clothing is made of upcycled materials, reusing old clothing to make unique pieces. The goal is to counter the “excess consumption of our society, and the ridiculous amount of waste being generated by it,” said Dongol. “I personally think the previous wears of the garment adds character to any person’s style. It’s easy to spend thousands of dollars on brand name designer clothing, but it’s much more challenging and fun to express yourself, at least clothing-wise, through experimentation and limits.”

Promotional material for Seam Reaper. [Image provided by Aakrist Dongol]

By choosing to work with used materials, Dongol goes through “a very chaotic process, which most of the time reinforces the individuality and uniqueness of each garment.”

Ideas find their way to him in dreams, he said.

“The moment I wake up, I sketch the idea onto paper. However, I won’t work on the piece right away. I often let the idea sit for a few weeks and let my subconscious mind do the job.”

As for Callo, she said her process is more of a stream of consciousness, allowing for people to interpret what they want from the paintings and the written messages that sometimes weave throughout her art.

“I think it kind of speaks for itself, like I’m communicating my experience. Having intention or a specific message I want to convey doesn’t really come naturally to me, it just feels inevitable.”

“It’s hard to place inspiration sometimes because life is incredibly saturated and stimulating. All that I live is present in my art,” she said.

Within Carleton, Callo said her art has thrived.

“Everything I do in my life shapes my art,” said Callo. “My degree is no exception.”

“I’ve definitely found myself surrounded by artists despite being in an academic environment. It took me a while to find my footing in regards to having that community but now it’s the centre of my world.”

Callo said she has considered leaving school and pursuing art full-time, but is undecided.

“I feel called in both directions.”

Featured image provided.