Carleton student Arun Smith accepted the apology of another student who came forward saying he had made seven of the image macros featuring Smith. (Photo by Gerrit De Vynck)

Carleton student Raphael Deketele apologized Aug. 24 for creating seven of the image macros that spurred an investigation by Carleton and the Ottawa Police Department into hate crimes against student Arun Smith.

“I would like to apologize for the seven ‘memes’ featuring your image that I posted online,” read Deketele’s apology to Smith. “While my intent was simply to make some light-hearted jokes at your expense, and not to threaten or abuse you, it was nonetheless wrong of me to write about you in such a way on a public forum.”

When Smith came across the 39 image macros created about him in April, he reported them to Carleton Student Affairs, as well as the Ottawa Police Department. According to Smith, Deketele admitted responsibility for seven of the macros during the investigation launched by Ryan Flannagan, Director of Student Affairs.

Smith said Deketele committed harassment under the Carleton University Student Rights and Responsibilities Code, and was directed to submit to Student Affairs a written apology to Smith and an essay on hate crimes affecting the GLBTQ community by Aug 31.

Smith accepted the apology, but said he found it “lacking in recognition of the way in which his comments were hateful.“

“I certainly appreciate the apology, though I think it falls flat in terms of making amends,” he said.

Despite this, Smith added that he wanted to commend the university for their handling of the situation.

“There is absolutely no question that the university has taken the matter very seriously, and that is a very validating experience,” he said.

Flannagan said via email, “The university will take [a] firm stance on harassment and/or cyberbullying. This type of behaviour will not be tolerated in our community.”

Flannagan declined to comment further for legal reasons.

Deketele said he didn’t understand how Quickmeme worked, and immediately regretted his participation in the images once he realized Smith would see them.

“I immediately felt bad for him because I too, have had people say unkind things about me behind my back and it really hurts,” Deketele said.

Although Deketele said he is sorry for hurting Smith’s feelings, he said he disagrees with the punishment in place by the university.

“All I did was insult him and I don’t think its fair for someone . . . to be punished by an institution, like a university, just for saying something insulting,” Deketele said.

“Anyone dumb enough to think this is a hate crime, doesn’t know what real hatred is, or what a real crime is.”

The Ottawa Police Service declined to comment on the status of the investigation.

“My hope is that other people come forward, take responsibility for their actions, and accept the consequences,” Smith said.