Students reveal their experiences of racism and discrimination at Queens on new Instagram account. (Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi)

A new instagram page has forced Queen’s University to address problems of racism and discrimination at the Smith School of Business, as students and alumni reveal their negative experiences through an account called “Stolen by Smith.”

The page allows students in the Queen’s commerce program to anonymously submit their experiences of racism and discrimination within the institution. 

On Sept. 8, a group of students and alumni who manage the account released an equity proposal, with guidelines for tangible changes to create a more inclusive environment for the Queen’s administration to consider.

Noor Rahemtulla is a student at Queen’s and the co-chair of Reform Smith who says the group is “driven to act based on our own experiences and the qualitative data presented by Stolen by Smith.”

Since its debut this past July, Stolen by Smith has accumulated over 300 submissions, quickly gaining attention from faculty and students at Queen’s, with almost 13,000 followers.

Among the stories on Stolen by Smith’s page, there are accounts of alleged sexual assault and coercion from students of the Smith School of Business and hostile attempts to devalue marginalized groups or individuals on campus. 

“Many of my peers, friends, and myself have had supervisors who verbally, emotionally, and academically abuse students in ways unimaginable,” writes a Smith graduate on the page. 

The submissions posted on Stolen by Smith display a range of issues queer, transgender, Black, Indigenous, and people of colour (QTBIPOC) experience on campus and from Queen’s affiliated organizations. 

The idea was inspired by another Instagram account, “Black at Harvard Law,” a page where Black students of Harvard’s law program are also sharing their experiences of discrimination within its affiliated institutions. 

Similar accounts have since been started at Western University, Dalhousie University, and McGill University.

The new equity proposal calls for “greater support and changes in admissions, curriculum, equitable hiring, financial aid, recruitment, disclosure and reporting, student support and community development.” 

These guidelines and subcategories are functions of administration that disproportionately affect the QTBIPOC community. 

Meena Waseem, co-chair of Reform Smith, said  while working on the reform proposal, it became clear Queen’s administration was not addressing QTBIPOC concerns.

“Our school has historically failed to protect equity-seeking students. Performative statements, lack of equitable policies, and zero accountability makes it very difficult to feel safe and supported at this school as an equity-seeking student,” Waseem said.

With increased demand for administrative action, Queen’s principal and vice-chancellor Patrick Deane released a statement in August, outlining 11 actions the institution plans to take to address students and alumni’s concerns of discimination on campus.

In an email statement to the Charlatan, interim dean of the Smith School of Business, Brenda Brouwer, outlined new suggested protocols, including equity training, designated representation on every staff hiring panel, and increased network opportunities between employers and QTBIPOC students. 

“Experiences shared courageously by students, alumni, and others speak to entrenched systemic issues within Smith and Queen’s,” Brouwer said.

On Sept.11 Brouwer released a response to Reform Smith and the Equity Proposal. The statement confirms that the proposal was reviewed by the Queen’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigeneity task force. 

Reform Smith and the task force are set to meet on Sept. 25 to discuss how to collaborate and effectively move forward.

Despite letters and statements promising reform, some students say they feel that these pledges to change fall short of the tangible actions the students and community are demanding. 

“Although the school has taken steps to improve the climate on campus, large-scale seismic changes are urgently required,” Rahemtulla said.

The Stolen by Smith account has been vocal that it will be attentive to see whether or not distinguishable action from Queen’s and the Smith School of Business will take place in the near future. 

Featured Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi