After initially committing to the Carleton Ravens football team, a top recruit for the upcoming squad has backed out.

In June 2014, Jesse St. John, a six-foot-five, 220-pound quarterback, committed to Carleton for the 2014 season.

The Pickering, Ont. native was rated one of the 100 best Canadian football players for the 2014 season by CanadaFootballChat.com (CFC), a high school and Canadian Interuniversity Sport recruiting website.

Now, it looks like St. John will be spending another year with his junior college team in the U.S., the Kent Lions in Connecticut, with the hopes of garnering National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) interest and launching a post-secondary football career down south.

“Canadian football is good, but American football . . . we have four-hour practices every day. They discipline you, they help you, make sure you’re clean,” St. John said on a CFC podcast.

Ravens offensive co-ordinator J.P. Asselin said he wasn’t surprised by the coveted prospect’s decision.

“It’s not the first scenario like this,” Asselin said. “Those type of things will happen when you’re recruiting that level of athlete.”

Asselin said even though St. John will be looking for an NCAA scholarship, it’s still a possibility he will play at Carleton next year in 2015.

“We wish him the best, and if he wants to pursue something in the U.S. then that’s what he wants to do,” Asselin said. “And if that doesn’t work out, hopefully we’re still high on his list.”