Part of the fund will go toward a new meeting and event space for Sprott. (Photo by Amanda Erndt)

The Sprott School of Business announced Nov. 15 they received $327,500 from the Certified General Accountants of Ontario (CGA Ontario).

CGA Ontario is a self-governing body “committed to meeting the needs of businesses and organizations with strategic insight, leadership and demonstrated abilities,” according to a Carleton press release.

The support from CGA Ontario allows Sprott Competes to increase the number of case competitions students are able to participate in, according to the release.

Sprott student Chris Ritchie, who has participated in case competitions, said Sprott Competes gives students the opportunity to experience what a career in business could be like.

“We’re presenting to industry experts and we are given about three hours to crack a case,” Ritchie said. “It really gives people a good idea of how you’re going to be working in the real world after you’re done.”

Ritchie said the case competitions are becoming more popular and are especially helpful for students who plan on presenting or consulting in finances.

“I think a lot of students are really getting exposed to the competitions now. A lot more people are actually applying, so it will be a lot more prevalent in the coming years,” he said.

Lauren Jamieson, program administrator for Sprott Competes, said the CGA Ontario funding has allowed the program to expand by adding an extra competition and funding more teams.

Jamieson said this year students will be representing Sprott Competes in Guelph, Kingston, Montreal, Vermont, London, and Spain.

Another result of the funding from the CGA is a new meeting and event space for Sprott.

“It’s nice to have a multi-purpose space that’s actually in Dunton Tower, because it’s where we’re heavily based,” Jamieson said.

The conference space will be used to host events that is meant to connect students with business professionals.

Jamieson said she hopes the funding also allows Sprott to bring in more industry workers to work with students.

“To have more resources, to send more teams, and to have more opportunities to train I think is really good for the future of the program,” Jamieson said.