Photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

Ravens Soup and Sandwich shop is planning on changing its name to “Campus,” after threats of a legal battle with Carleton over the use of the trademark “Ravens” logo owned by the university.

The shop opened its doors Sept. 8 on the corner of Sunnyside and Seneca and was approached by the university a week later and asked to change its name because it is not associated with Carleton.

The shop owners then received a letter from the university that stated they are to change their name or Carleton would proceed with taking legal action.

Eli Awad, co-owner of the shop, said the City of Ottawa has ruled “Campus” is a title not owned by the university and is free to use.

Although the disagreement has been difficult, Awad said “it should be about the food not the name.”

Awad said not being able to use the Ravens flyers and posters that were already bought and ready to distribute has affected the shop’s outreach.

This has limited the publicity that the shop was hoping to generate, according to Awad.

After asking for $4,500 from the university to compensate for the loss of flyers and posters, Awad said the shop still has not heard back from the university.

Awad said using a similar logo and name to the university was to interest students, but they are willing to change the name in order to move forward and continue to provide their services.

Awad said he hopes this disagreement will not affect business.

As the shop is reaching the 90-day deadline given by the university, they will have a new sign posted and will order new flyers with the new name and logo.