York University and its student unions remain divided on negotiated settlements

York University has ratified a new contract with the student union of contract instructors and has since resumed many of their classes, but the remainder of CUPE 3903 continues to strike.

Contract instructors of unit 2 signed a three-year contract with the university after a newly revised settlement was offered on March 9, accepting the terms that York’s bargaining team provided. However, units 1 and 3 of Graduate and Teaching Assistants did not ratify, and currently remain on strike.

The university authorized the resumption of a variety of programs March 17, including the School of Arts, Design, Education, Science, the remainder of the School of Health and the courses offered at Glendon College.

They intend for the departments of environmental studies, liberal arts, and other professional studies to be reopened by March 23.

During the absence the student unions have been providing $300 a week in strike pay, or $60 a day. There are reports the university has been offering work to union members who cross picket lines, an action that threatens the bargaining power of the union as a whole.

Individuals who do so are ineligible for further strike pay, and are considered strikebreakers. These members are at risk for losing health benefits and would be working under conditions not ratified by the CUPE collective agreements.

The university has since released the terms of the revised settlements for units 1 and 3. However, a detailed criticism of the offers has been posted on the CUPE 3903 website as well as their dismissal.

Strikes continue at University of Toronto

Unit 3 of CUPE 3902 accepted the terms offered by the University of Toronto’s bargaining team to resume work, while the other units maintain their picket lines and refuse to return.

The union of sessional lecturers, writing instructors, and short-term staff came to an agreement with the university March 10. They will help the university cope with the classes they continue to offer while the rest of CUPE 3902 strikes.

The other units have rejected all offers thus far proposed by the University of Toronto bargaining teams. There have been a series of mediated discussions over the weekend where the settlements that have been proposed were revised.

While the university believed their new changes to be comprehensive, the CUPE 3902 bargaining representatives rejected the offer without taking it to a full membership vote.

The suspended courses may not resume this term, and examination periods will be affected. This university has kept updated information for students concerning these issues on their labour dispute page.

The university says they are working to accommodate all students with intentions to graduate this year as top priority, and that final examinations will proceed with no changes to dates or times. Some projects and assignments submitted during the strike may not be graded and returned, and many tutorials have been cancelled.

The CUPE 3902 news page has been posting messages of encouragement to stay emotionally strong during these events. One student who self-identifies as “financially privileged” offered words of solidarity, and maintained his stance that everyone deserves an education, regardless of background.