Sock ‘n’ Buskin’s The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon was a hilariously energetic production that left its audience out of breath.

The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon was a satirical, dark and sarcastic take on the original Brothers Grimm fairy tales. The show did not follow one consecutive storyline but alternated between the warped tales of Cinderella (Emily Poulsen), Rapunzel (Sarah Ashton), Snow White (Megan Harvey), and The Frog Princess (Natalie Lopez). The stories were commentated by the quirky and equally engaging narrators (Keara Williams and Aaron Cooze).

It is worth noting that the goal of this show was not to teleport us to a different dimension, but instead, to entertain in its own setting. This is not a show to go to if you fear being picked out of a crowd—audience participation and regular fourth-wall breaks are what kept the audience engaged throughout a relatively long production. It was rarely a simple dialogue between characters, but it was a story told through monologues and short segments, often interrupted by clever remarks from the narrators.

Although these popular stories are often remembered for the princesses, the princes of this show stole the spotlight. Tom Murphy’s hysterical interpretation of a foolish prince captured the hearts of the audience, making him a fan favourite. He managed to maintain this with two other roles and a refreshingly funny portrayal of a Magic Mirror.

This show involved many women playing men and men playing women. It was a bold move that required commitment and it certainly shows Meg Sutton’s strengths as a director. Put simply, it worked. This was another incredibly successful component of the play that showcased the skills of each actor and left the audience howling with laughter.

Arguably, one of the highlights of the show was the on-stage chemistry between two of Snow White’s dwarves, portrayed by Ethan Pitcher and Tom Murphy. Their cohesiveness and their ability to think and perform as one was astounding and contributed to a hilarious and successful portion of the play.

A show unlike any other, The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon is not a performance I would expect my grandmother to like, yet I found the older generations often laughing alongside the students. However, this production did require patience; at times it seemed to move quite slowly while working its way toward a comedic climax, and most often it was worth the wait.

An interesting element of the play was the use of vocal techniques to embody characters. For actors with more than one role, it was often a necessary tool to distinguish their parts. In some cases, it was a great way for actors to creatively interpret different roles, but it was occasionally the downfall of their performance. If this aspect was an unintentional part of the show, a few characters had higher-pitched tones that seemed unnatural and even hard to decipher at times. However, if intentional, it may only be attributed to good acting—a skill that helps the audience hate the villain and love the hero.

The end result is a show not intended for the faint of heart. By the end of the production, the spotlight had been stolen by an outstanding performance from a strong supporting cast. The fresh, creative and ridiculous portrayals of otherwise modest characters made for an entertaining show—one that was completely distinctive and definitely unforgettable.