Dozens of people came out to Rooster’s to celebrate the upcoming season and to look back at Sock 'n' Buskin's rich history. (Photo by Matt Hegmann)

They thanked those who had come out to audition for Rent—this season’s musical—which they are still in the process of casting.

Rouble took time near the end to discuss their unconventional approach to next semesters’ play, A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The company has decided not to do a word-for-word interpretation of Shakespeare’s text, but instead to play with the language and make it their own.

This works with the broader goals Hertendy and Rouble are working to achieve this year.

“Sock ‘n’ Buskin is a student-run theatre company. This year we are focusing on shows directed and presented by students,” Hertendy said.

They are set to highlight the diverse talent pool Carleton offers. Rouble wants students to get involved with the company.

“This season we are trying to get back to our roots, which is getting students involved in the arts and getting students into theatre,” he said.

And while Rouble and Hertendy look forward, others that night also took the time to look back.

“We are the oldest student run theatre company in Canada and turning 70 allows us the opportunity to look back on everything that the theater has accomplished and what we have grown from,” Geoff Burnside, director of Rent, said.

Rouble also touched on the more notable points of the company’s history.

“Sock ‘n’ Buskin was founded 70 years ago and we have quite the rich history. Dan Aykroyd is the famous one that gets brought up a lot. Alan Neal from CBC Radio as well. Lots of local theatre company. The Great Canadian Theatre Company and Third Wall, they also spawned out of Sock ‘n’ Buskin,” Rouble said.

Burnside reminded students that even if they aren’t interested in being on stage, there are lots of opportunities in the theatre company.

“We are always looking for people to help out with costumes, set building, painting, advertising, and administrative things like booking auditions. Seriously, there is so much work that goes into putting on a show. If you have any interest in anything related to theatre there is a spot for you,” he said.

With this years production of Rent, Burnside’s goal is to celebrate difference.

“The big theme that I recognize from these two shows is that it is okay to be weird. This is what I’m trying to bring out in the shows I direct,” he said.

“My goal is to make it more acceptable to be strange, make it more mainstream to have non-mainstream interests, to be an outsider. To be one of those people who hasn’t felt like they really fit in anywhere . . . We want to show people that it is okay not to be normal,” he said.