Social media can both enhance and harm romantic relationships, a research project conducted by Carleton students has found.

Students in a second-year sociology course asked 80 undergraduate students at Carleton 10 questions on the effects of social media on relationships. Major themes were drawn out of the collected data, from which a select number were chosen and expanded on by groups of three to four students.

One group of four zeroed in on how social media can impact privacy, foster strong relationships, address personal needs, and facilitate or hinder communication.

“Some couples choose to publicize their relationship, creating an illusion that they’re always together and they’re always happy,” fourth-year women and gender studies student Heidi Scheppler said.

“Some couples mentioned that social media did benefit them, to keep track of their partner throughout the day,” second-year sociology student Priska Even-Hen said. “It offered a sense of reassurance.”

She added that “social media can be effective for long distance relationships, especially the video-sharing apps such as Facebook and Skype.” The data also shows that interacting with your partner on social media sometimes makes up for a lack of physical togetherness.

But, according to Even-Hen, the evidence suggests communicating through online mediums has its challenges too.

“Sometimes it’s difficult to transmit emotions through a text. Also, texts can be misinterpreted, which can lead to unnecessary fights,” she said.

Participant responses also shed light on how social media has expanded the range of potential partners a person can meet.

“Before social media, you would only be able to meet people you’re talking to, versus now you can meet someone who lives halfway across the world,” Scheppler said.

The research also suggests that apps such as Tinder and Bumble allow people to present the best version of themselves.

“[Social media] takes away human spontaneity, and you can kind of be scared of that when you meet someone face-to-face,” Even-Hen said.

She added that in person, you can’t edit your response.

“I think social media gives this protective blanket for some people,” she said.

Relationships could also be positively impacted if social media ceased to exist.

“You wouldn’t be searching for validation from others based on how many likes you get from a picture with your boyfriend or girlfriend,” Scheppler said.

The study, which began at the start of the winter term, is nearing completion as groups scramble to share their findings with the Carleton community. The potential reach of the research is large, according to Carleton sociology professor Deborah Conners, who is overseeing the study.

She said that the concerns students have about the effects of social media on their relationships are real. Even-Hen and Scheppler agreed that the findings are useful, and may change how they use social media in their current or future relationships.

“It’s important to prioritize intimate time with your partner away from social media, away from the buzzing and texting. It definitely affects being present,” Even-Hen said.

Scheppler added that she “probably won’t [post about my relationships online] at all because I feel like it’s nobody’s business to know, but social media makes you feel like you need to share this stuff.”

Conners said at the end of the day, there are three important factors behind any successful romantic relationship: trust, honesty, and communication.

“Social media can support these things or make them more difficult,” she said.

Photo by Meagan Casalino