Photo by Jesse Winter

The Canadian Senior Men’s National Team (SMNT) fell to France in the championship game of the Olympic Qualifying tournament on July 10, in a matchup where the winning team would represent their country in the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.

Canada fell just short, losing 83-74.

Dave Smart, long time head-coach of the Carleton Ravens men’s basketball team, was an assistant coach for the SMNT, while the head coaching position was held by the head coach of the National Basketball Association’s (NBA) Phoenix Suns, Jay Triano.

Also representing Carleton were Philip and Thomas Scrubb, former Ravens and Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) player of the year and CIS defensive player of the year respectively.

Thomas Scrubb started all four games of the tournament, sharing the lineup with four NBA players.

Philip Scrubb was the spark off the bench, bringing offence when the team needed it.

“It felt good,” Thomas said of being inserted into the starting lineup. “I think I played pretty well, and I got comfortable playing with the guys.”

“I didn’t do much during games,” he said. “Just played my role, played hard, played good defence, the others guys do most of the offensive work.”

Other memorable names on the Canadian Roster were Tristan Thompson of the Cleveland Cavaliers, who just won an NBA championship. Anthony Bennett, who is a former number one pick in the NBA draft, and Melvin Ejim, older brother of current Raven Ryan Ejim were both on the roster as well. Starting in the backcourt with Thomas was Cory Joseph, who is currently a player for the Toronto Raptors.

With all this talent on the team, Thomas said the coaching staff needed to be on the ball to achieve their full potential. Luckily, Dave Smart knew most of the roster very well, including the two brothers he coached for five seasons.

Thomas said playing for his old coach was a great opportunity.

“[I’m happy to] work again with a coach I know and trust, He knows our strengths and weaknesses, when to use us,” he said.

After hard-fought wins against Turkey, Senegal and New Zealand, the Canadian SMNT fell to France, who were led by NBA star Tony Parker. A four-time NBA champion, Parker finished with 26 points, 14 rebounds and four assists, earning France another Olympic basketball berth. Nando de Colo and Boris Diaw, both NBA veterans, also played their part in the win, with some clutch plays to seal the deal.

“It was a great experience, to be able to play with the best players in the world,” Thomas said. As for points of improvement, Thomas said he needs to work on his offensive skills.

“I’m still a bit behind,” he said.

Both brothers will play in Germany next season, but Thomas said they still have their eyes set on the highest level.

“It’s still early,” Thomas said. “We just have to work hard.”

Canada will be look to the next qualifying tournament, which will be held prior to the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.