Smalll Fish, a comedy and variety show that provides a safe space for marginalized comedians and artists to showcase their talents, at Irene’s Pub in Ottawa, on Wednesday, February 22, 2023. [Photo by Naomi Badour/The Charlatan]

For comedy and performance lovers on the lookout for something unique, the Small Fish variety show at Irene’s Pub on Feb. 22 was a hidden gem. Produced by comedians Glenys Marshall and Maggie Harder, the show aimed to provide a safe space for marginalized artists and comedians to showcase their talents.

The idea for the show was born out of Marshall and Harder’s joint desire for a diverse show where performers could feel at ease and be themselves. They said lack of such a space in previous comedy and variety shows inspired the creation of their own.

“We just felt there wasn’t exactly a space that we were really, really excited to go perform, where we really felt safe and welcomed in,” Marshall said. “We really wanted that feeling, and we decided to make it for ourselves.”

Throughout the night, the audience was treated to a range of unique and fresh performances from a variety of talented artists. Each performer brought something different to the stage, from musical comedy to heart-wrenching dance performances.

As the two-hour show came to a close, the energy in the air was still buzzing with excitement. Comedian Michael Lifshitz, who closed the show with an eight-minute standup routine, said the audience was his favourite part of the show.

Lifshitz said connections with the audience, like the one he experienced that night, are what keep him doing comedy. 

“You could really see everyone was super into the performance, which was fantastic,” he said.

The audience’s enthusiasm was no accident. Before the performances began, Harder and Marshall made a simple request of the audience: To be attentive, engaged and “so stoked” to be watching the show.

“People that we know are really talented have expressed frustrations to us of, ‘I have this art, I’m really excited to share, but I really struggle finding the right audience to share it with,’” Harder said. “We wanted to curate an audience that would show love and support that says, ‘we get you, we see you.’”

Marshall said the duo chose their lineup carefully to ensure Small Fish was a safe place for marginalized communities. 

Small Fish’s lineup consisted entirely of members of underrepresented or marginalized communities. Marshall and Harder added they do not want audiences to get the impression their show is exclusionary. The structure of Small Fish was designed to uplift people who do not already have a leg up, they said.

“No matter how much you want to believe in people, and you believe that certain people in a place of privilege have the wherewithal to punch up, it’s never guaranteed,” Marshall said. “I wanted to eliminate some of that risk factor.”

Small Fish’s opening night was a resounding success, with a sold-out performance and approximately 100 people in attendance. This overwhelming response has further motivated Marshall and Harder to keep the ball rolling.

“We love all of these people who are coming. We’re performing for our family, our friends, the friends we haven’t met yet. We want to show them that love,” Marshall said. “We want people to come up and introduce themselves. We want new talent.”

While no date has been set yet, Harder and Marshall plan to hold another Small Fish show with all new talent. They hope Small Fish can become a safe outlet for underrepresented people to showcase their art.

“Small Fish, to me, is creating a safer space in which marginalized performers can feel really free to not only be themselves, but to do anything,” Marshall said. “It’s about that freedom to express your true self.”

Featured image by Naomi Badour.