Home Arts SHElarious shines spotlight on local female comedians: Commentary

SHElarious shines spotlight on local female comedians: Commentary

52

The Experimental Farm Theatre hosted their second annual fundraiser on March 6. SHElarious is a comic event, all proceeds of which go to Cornerstone Housing for Women.

Coinciding with International Women’s Day, it was a night celebrating women in comedy at Pressed. The show involved a variety of comic forms, including stand-up and sketch comedy and improvisation.

The artists largely touched upon themes and issues within society from female perspectives. These involved issues revolving around feminism, marriage, and fear of commitment, among others.

The few highlights included new stand-up talent from Nyota Nakihimba and Dianne Skoll, and a solo sketch by Deborah Ring entitled ‘The F-Word.”

The musical performances were courtesy of Tina Wallace, who played the guitar and sang two originals in her intimate and open set, as well as Rhythm and Burgundy, who played an original and a cover with great chemistry on stage. Their smooth and raw delivery brought out the best in the audience as they sang their witty lyrics with passion.

Co-artistic director Dani Alon talked about the vision of the Experimental Farm Theatre’s brand of comedy.

“Part of [our vision] is to show different types of long-form that a lot of people in this city haven’t been exposed to yet. A lot of the long-form here is narrative and this is more thematic and character-behaviour driven, rather than focusing on a plot or a story,” Alon said. “We emphasize just being present. Not having to do jokes or rely on wit, but just being present in strong relationship scenes.”

The audience enjoyed the show thoroughly and appreciated the raw and honest humour portrayed by the artists.

“You either laugh or you don’t. Even if you don’t laugh, you’re not losing anything. But if you come out and you laugh, you’re laughing,” Saint Paul University student Kirstie McEachern said.

Alon said giving female comedians space to perform can help shape the way people view the role of gender in art.

“Before we started running this, there didn’t seem to be any shows dedicated to the lighter side of being a woman,” she said. “Being a woman in comedy, I wanted to show everyone that women can be funny without having to be tragic all the time.”

Alon said the night should not be reduced to one single theme, however.

“We have stuff to say and we have individual perspectives and forms of being a woman, but it’s not reduced to [just] being a woman,” Alon said.

The event was full and according to the Experimental Farm Theatre’s Facebook page, SHElarious raised over $600 for Cornerstone Housing for Women this year.