Carleton is implementing the Enhanced Assess, Acknowledge, Act program, (EAAA), a sexual violence prevention program developed by Charlene Senn, a professor of applied social psychology at the University of Windsor.

The EAAA involves a two-hour self-defence training course and 10 hours of educational activities meant to inform women of the strategies available to them for preventing an assault.

Carrolyn Johnston, equity advisor and co-ordinator of Sexual Assault Services at Carleton, is in charge of rolling out the EAAA, and said via email that it is an excellent program in terms of meeting the standards of best practices.

Johnston also confirmed that Carleton has already hired facilitators for the program.

She said the goal for now is to run at least one 12-hour course before the end of this semester, and if all goes well the summer will be spent planning for a bigger roll-out in the fall semester.

The Sexual Assault Resistance Education Centre (SARE), a non-profit organization founded by Senn, offers training and support in the administration and delivery of the EAAA sexual assault resistance program.

So far, five universities have implemented the program. According to Senn, the EAAA reduced attempted rapes and the number of sexual assaults by two thirds.

She said the program will help empower women to have more confidence.

“Women will be able to trust themselves and prevent that emotional delay that happens when the guy is a roommate’s boyfriend or someone they know,” Senn said.

She said the EAAA is about a woman knowing what she can do and having the skills necessary to speed up her ability to protect against coercive situations.

“By confirming their judgement when something feels wrong, they can act on it,” Senn said.

Currently, Carleton Equity Services offers programs such as the Bystander Initiative, which invites students to imagine themselves as potential bystanders who could stop an assault from happening. While programs such as this have had an impact on changing behaviour, the EAAA is not concerned with perpetrators trying to change their behaviour, Senn said.

She said the EAAA is more focused on getting women to look out for themselves and giving them the tools they need to “fight back” by providing more forceful strategies.

“You can try one then try another until you are sure you are safe,” Senn said.

“Not all women want to report their rape. The EAAA gives women the information and skills they need to make an informed decision on their own,” she said.