Q: How do you know when to ask someone to be in a relationship?

A: Personally, I think it’s just about how you feel in the moment and if you feel like it’s the right moment to take your relationship to the next level. Sometimes there’ll be a chance to have a proper discussion about these things, and other times it may just come out in a blurb of other feelings. 

But sometimes, these feelings of exclusivity could be very one-sided, while the other person may not be in the same place as you, and that’s okay. In that case, communication would still be key to assess whether that could be a possibility for your relationship. 

I think the most important thing to do is to say how you feel right away and act on those feelings. It’s scary, for sure, but it could also lead to something really exciting and you shouldn’t shy away from that possibility. 

If you’re asking this because you’re curious about your own situation, then I say if you really enjoy spending time with the person you’re with and they do too, give it a shot. Best of luck to you. 

Q: Should sexual history matter in a relationship?

A: The number of people you’ve slept with? No, definitely not. The amount of partners that you have slept with is your own personal information to share. No one else is entitled to knowing that, unless you’re comfortable with sharing it.  

On the other hand, if you have an STI or have previously had sex with someone who’s had an STI and you’re not sure if you have one, you should share that information. Do not run the risk of not telling your partner and accidentally have them contract something, or yourself. 

Your sexual history is something that is personal to you, and that information is something you should share depending on your comfort level, but don’t do it at the risk of someone else’s safety. 

Q: Is it healthy to keep secrets from your partner, or should everything be on the table?

A: Some people may share everything, and that’s great, but if your partner is a little more private, then you should not expect them to tell you everything just because you’re opening up to them. 

I do think that over time, there should be fewer secrets in a relationship, but having a few things that are just for you can be a good thing. Though if this is the kind of person you are, address that earlier in your relationship and be aware of the fact that your partner may ask you to open up to them from time to time. 

I think it really depends on the person that you are. Some people are very private and aren’t comfortable sharing every aspect of their life, and that’s perfectly okay. I think one of the best things about having a partner is that you’re just hanging out with someone that you like to spend time with more than others, but you don’t have to feel obliged to share everything with that person. 

File photo.