There’s really only one thing you need to know when puzzling out how to have a summer fling: communication is key (this can also apply to longer-term relationships). If this tip was all you needed, then exit this blog, get up and go have that mind-blowing summer sex (or whatever it is you’re in to). If not, keep reading, and by the time you’re done you’ll be on your way to a coffee shop or local bookstore to meet the guy or gal of your summer dreams.

Figuring out what you want is an important part of your summer fling. Be it a one-night stands, sex, or romance, once you know what you want, it’ll be way easier to find someone who wants the same thing – and that makes the fling more fun.

The tricky part: actually meeting someone. Ottawa is not as big of a city as Toronto or Montreal, therefore there isn’t as much in the way of clubs, and those tend to be the best spots for noncommittal hook-ups to take place. However, that doesn’t mean there’s no way for you to meet up with people.

Apps like Tinder are your friend. Coffee shops like Black Squirrel Books are the perfect place to have a conversation that just might lead to more. Get out and go to places you’d enjoy any other time, like museums or bookstores, and you might meet someone with similar interests. A summer fling is all the more fun if you happen to meet someone who shares your hobbies.

If you’re not sure what the other person is looking for, just ask. It seems like an awkward conversation to have, but it’s so much easier for everyone if you know what page the other person is on. Being upfront works better than the whirl of confusion that tends to follow summer flings. And if you really are just looking for a summer fling – well, the other person might be too!

Another tip: set the rules. Are you okay with seeing other people, or do you want it to be exclusive for the few months you are seeing each other? Do you want it to be sexual or romantic? How much do you want to get to know each other beyond the sexual aspect? Do you want to stay in touch after the summer?

There’s an endless amount of things you’ll be wanting to know, and you shouldn’t hesitate to ask. Summer is short – there’s no time for guessing games. Besides, the sooner you rid yourself of the awkwardness of trying to guess what’s in the other person’s mind, the more time you have to enjoy!

Bottom line is, remember why you’re looking for a fling. Like a relationship, ask yourself: am I having fun? Is this what I want? If the answer is yes, you’re doing it right. If it’s not, don’t fret. The solution is always to do what feels right. Leave the confusion and drama for the fall – be honest about what you want with who you’re with, and you’ll have a fun and enjoyable summer.