Home Blog Sex and the Single Student Blog: Bleeding love or just bleeding?

Sex and the Single Student Blog: Bleeding love or just bleeding?

109

University students who entertain consistent sex partners face a unique challenge in their sex lives—they’re not always in the same city as their partner. Reading weeks, summer holidays, and trips back to your hometown mean you’re not always in the same place, and it’s unlikely that your partner’s schedule corresponds. With the end of the semester fast approaching, couples all over campus cling to their loved (or lusted) ones, and it’s to be expected that study dates are punctuated by the occasional roll in the hay. For those who choose not to opt-out when either they or their partners are on their period, a further three to seven days a month might be up for grabs.

Menstruation is one thing in life that men almost never have to deal with. You probably heard about it once in sex ed, figured out what tampons are, and then lived on happily, knowing that most girls in bars will be reluctant to sleep with you if it’s their time of the month, and your girlfriend will probably warn you. Taking a leap into the red river might seem intimidating at first, but my opinion is not to knock it until you’ve tried it.

There are a lot of jokes that go around about these girls that beg their boyfriends for ice cream when they’re on their periods, but no one seems to talk about the other effects fluctuating hormones can have on a girl. I’ve encountered a number of girls who get pretty frisky this time of month, but for some the period seems to elicit an assumed “yuck” reaction that kicks in before they’d consider having sex with it.

I tried it out the first month I was having sex and my period arrived, but I saw no reason to abstain. My partner is still alive, my bedsheets are still white, and it was really great sex for us both.

In my experience, if you focus more on how much your hormones are making you want it and less on the blood that’s going on below, sex during menstruation can be even better than the rest of the month. I’ve never heard of a guy, or a girl, who doesn’t find it hot when their partner is raring to go at any time during their menstrual cycle.

Many brave men and women before us have laid a towel or two over the mattress their parents bought them when they went off to school to give it a try. The cautious can get started in the shower or in the missionary position, which slows down the blood flow. You might not want to get handsy down there, but wearing a condom will prevent any male extremities from needing an after-cleanse. However, there’s a lot to be said for the built-in lubrication to get things going down there—and seriously, the store-bought stuff is expensive.

Every woman’s cycle is different, and some might be better suited for sex while they’re menstruating.

Some women bleed very little without much variance in how they feel physically. Others experience a lot of blood, and symptoms that don’t make them feel sexy—cramps, bloating, and gas among them. It’s fair to leave it up to females to decide if they’re comfortable having sex while they’re bleeding, and leave it up to their partner to decide if the blood makes them squeamish. But it’s recently been accepted that sex can help reduce cramps during menstruation and make your period end faster. Who could object to finding extra days in a month that you’re free to get down and dirty—even if it’s literally?

If you have a consistent partner, you might even think of it as an ironic celebration that you’ve effectively eluded pregnancy for one more month.