It has been a season to remember for the Ravens men’s soccer team, having ended with silver in the OUA playoffs and bronze in the U Sports championship.

With 14 wins across the regular season out of a possible 16, the Ravens were a formidable team to go against.

The team’s only blip was a 2-3 home loss to the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, where a last-minute goal robbed them of an unbeaten season.

They ended the regular season scoring 61 goals and conceding only seven—the best in the OUA East division in both instances.                    

In terms of memorable games during the regular season, the Ravens played two important games against Ryerson University on Sept. 9 and Oct. 6. They tied the first game and won the second game, securing the division title.

David Monk, the team’s goalkeeper, said the Oct. 6 victory over Ryerson University was important.

“Beating Ryerson 3-0 at home was a big moment for several reasons,” he said.  “We struggled beating top teams last year and they were ahead of us in the national rankings, which made it a big statement on top of it securing us the division title.”

“Personally, I’d never beaten them before, so it was a big relief for me to finally get them after five long years and several missed chances,” he added.

After winning the division, the Ravens had another chance to prove themselves in the playoffs. Unfortunately, they lost out on claiming the Blackwood Cup to the York University Lions, after falling 3-1 in the final.

The team’s second-place finish allowed them to compete at the U Sports men’s soccer championship, however, and they claimed the bronze medal after a 3-0 victory over Trinity Western Spartans.

According to Monk, it’s been a good season for the team.

“It was a successful season for the team since we built on a good season last year and improved,” he said. “The group matured a lot and we had a bunch of guys really come into their own.”

“A trip to nationals is always great, and going in back-to-back years for the first time in history cemented it as a great year,” he added.

The Ravens’ form during the regular season, play-offs and national championships have earned some players individual awards—midfielder Dario Conte was named the Most Valuable Player in the East Division after a brilliant season of chipping in with three goals and five assists. He was also given all-star recognition, along with teammates Nick Jeffs, Diego Politis, Christopher Malekos, Emad Houache and Gabriel Bitar.

Kwesi Loney was named OUA East Coach of the Year as well. His hard work both on and off the field was recognized, especially his work with the successful Junior Ravens program. His award topped off a memorable season for the Ravens men’s soccer team, one which they will hope to build on next year.

File photo