To people who have followed Canadian university basketball for the past few years, the names Phil and Thomas Scrubb are spoken about in a virtually unparalleled status as two of the best players in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) history.

However, their anonymity outside of the country may change soon.

Both Scrubb brothers were invited to participate in the Toronto Raptors’ free agent mini-camp from June 11-12, with the hopes of earning an NBA Summer League invite.

“It was cool to play with guys I’ve seen on TV during March Madness and others who’ve been in the pros before,” said Thomas Scrubb, the elder of the brothers. “But as easy as it is to get caught up in the moment, you have to stop thinking about who’s there to play well.”

The camp featured 21 players with varying backgrounds, from American college standouts looking to crack the pros, to former NBA players looking for second chances, to players from Europe looking for a North American proffesional opportunity.

However, the Scrubb brothers were the only two players there from the CIS.

“I definitely think CIS basketball is improving,” Thomas said. “More guys are staying to play in Canada. Some are even coming from the States to play here, so I think there will be others in the future who are in our situation.”

Phil is a three-time CIS player of the year. Thomas is a national defensive player of the year. Both won five national championships in five season with the Ravens.

This was their first taste of a free agent mini-camp, and both said they are hoping to earn a Summer League invite.

Phil, the six-foot-three guard with a more polished offensive track record than his brother, has a few more mini-camp opportunities with other NBA teams to earn a Summer League invite.

These include the Dallas Mavericks and Indiana Pacers.

“Some teams have shown interest, so I’m pretty confident I’ll get into one of them,” Phil said. “Summer League is the goal for most basketball players looking to make the NBA, so I’d just be grateful for the opportunity.”

The 2015 Pan American Games will be taking place in Toronto from August. 7-15. There will be a training camp in the middle of July, which will fall during Summer League play, meaning each Scrubb would only be able to play one of the two large events.

The brothers both played on the senior men’s national team last summer, and Thomas said as badly as he wants a Summer League shot, he knows playing for Canada could be a special moment.

“Either one would be great,” he said. “Not many people get the chance to represent their country, and with the Pan Ams being at home, it would be a cool experience.”

The B.C. boys went to high school together at Vancouver College, then played and practiced alongside each other for five championship seasons at Carleton University.

With both brothers uncertain of their playing careers this summer and next season, the younger Scrubb said he would miss playing with his brother.

“We’ve been best friends our whole life,” Phil said. “Tommy and I won’t get to play with each other that much in the near future, maybe we’ll be in other countries next season, so it was great to go out and share the [Raptors mini-camp] experience with him.”