Graphic by Helen Mak.

Carleton basketball players Phillip and Thomas Scrubb fell short in the Final Four round of the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Today podcast’s Ultimate All-Star Bracket.

The hypothetical competition organized by OUA Today, a podcast discussing university sports in Ontario, placed athletes in different sports against each other in a tournament style contest.

Fan voted through Twitter and determined which athletes moved on to the next round.

One side of the bracket was female athletes while the other side was male athletes.

The competition began with eight athletes on each side.

“My original idea was that it would be kind of cool to compare the best against the best in different sports,” said OUA Today host and former McMaster Marauders quarterback Marshall Ferguson.  “I thought it would be neat to put each MVP or each person that I held to the highest regard from each male and female sport in a bracket and see how people perceived them and what kind of support they would get.”

In the first round the Scrubb brothers, who led their team to a fifth straight national title in 2015, defeated Jarek Whiteman of the York Lions men’s soccer team to advance to the Elite Eight.

The next round saw the basketball champion Scrubbs beat out Andrew D’Agostini, a goaltender for the Guelph Gryphons men’s hockey team.

The brothers’ winning streak came to an end after losing to cross country and track and field athlete Corey Bellemore from the Windsor Lancers in the Final Four.

Bellemore helped the Lancers to a Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) track and field title in mid March.

The score of the head-to-head matchup was 326-186 for Bellemore.

Ferguson said he selected one male and female athlete from each varsity sport to ensure that each sport was represented in the bracket.

“I chose the Scrubb brothers because I’ve jokingly said on my show that they are one soul that happen to be in two people,” said Ferguson.  “They’re exceptionally talented—their mind for the game, the way they view basketball, the way they interact with their coach, the most demanding man in CIS basketball.  They’re very special players.”

Phillip Scrubb said he occasionally checked the contest on Twitter.

Although he admitted that it would have been nice to win, he said it was fun following each round and seeing the support for him and his brother.

“I didn’t really expect so many people to vote,” said Phillip.  “But the Carleton Ravens Twitter re-tweeted it, and then I saw friends and fans voting.  It was pretty cool.”

Bellemore defeated fellow Lancer athlete Korissa Williams on the women’s side in an all-Windsor championship, winning by a vote of 212-104 in the final round.