The other night I was about to go to bed when reality hit me: tomorrow was going to be the same as today, which was the same as yesterday, so on and so forth. I’m sure most of you have had this feeling—that every day in isolation is the same. This can cause a lot of anxiety and unhappiness.

Minimal social interactions, boredom, lack of routine and media filled with depressing statistics and stories can all lead to a decrease in serotonin levels. Serotonin—commonly referred to as the happy chemical—is a neurotransmitter that contributes to feelings of well-being and happiness. 

Low serotonin levels

So how do you know if you have low serotonin? Serotonin levels fluctuate on a regular basis, but an indication of low levels can include feeling down or blue, increased anxiety, and sugar cravings. 

Yikes—sounds like that’s probably the case for a lot of society right now.

Dr. Hymie Anisman, professor of neuroscience at Carleton University said he does not know of any studies that directly show serotonin levels impacted by COVID-19, but I think it’s safe to say that more generally individuals have noticed changes in their mental well-being.

I have seen a major change in my mental health during quarantine. I have diagnosed anxiety, but I am usually able to keep it under control. During the past few months, I have had to work a lot harder to prevent waves of anxiety and panic attacks.

The fortunate thing is that there are things you can do to boost your serotonin levels. 

Natural serotonin boosts

Psychology Today suggests four ways you can up your serotonin levels naturally: sunlight, massages, exercise, and remembering happy events.

I’m no psychology expert, but things that help me stay mentally healthy include keeping a regular bedtime routine, pleasure reading, eating healthy, spending time with loved ones, and spending time outdoors.

Luckily, most of these things are possible while following guidelines for distancing during COVID-19. 

Picture this:

You wake up at 8 a.m. after a solid 9-hour sleep. You spend about an hour in bed reading while drinking your favourite morning beverage. If you have a pet, you’re snuggling them. Around 9 a.m., you get ready for the day. You eat a healthy breakfast with your favourite fruits. Then you head out for a walk. It’s a nice sunny day and along your walk you meet up with an old friend. You two talk about fond memories you share. You get back home and it’s 11 a.m. 

Just reading that scenario above makes me smile. Tailor it to the things you like to do. But in the simple scenario above, it is still morning and you have done most of the things listed above. 

Make a conscious effort 

No matter how trivial they may seem, it is crucial that you make time for yourself during quarantine. Whatever makes you happy, give yourself time to do it and watch how your mental health flourishes.  

As I write this, I am doing much better. It’s Sunday and I got up and had coffee outside with my parents on a beautiful sunny morning. When they got up to do a few tasks, I got up and grabbed my laptop to write this. I’m writing but I’m still outside. I’m still within speaking distance of both my parents. It’s a beautiful morning and I’m happy.

You deserve this too!

Featured image by Robina Weermeijer.