Bass Drum of Death will perform their new album, Say I Won't, on June 6 at Ottawa's The Brass Monkey. [Photo by Steve Gullick]

If you’ve listened to any Bass Drum of Death album throughout their 15-year existence, you’ve heard front man John Barrett exclusively play every fuzzy, distorted note. 

Bass Drum of Death’s fourth new album, Say I Won’t, brings the entire touring band into the studio, freshening the band’s signature explosive garage-rock style. 

The Charlatan spoke with Bass Drum of Death about the band’s evolution and the homey qualities of Say I Won’t

The last three years have been eventful for the band. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Barrett moved away from New York City, taking Bass Drum of Death back to his hometown of Oxford, Mississippi. 

“Moving back to Oxford was a much needed reset,” said John Barrett. “When I started, I just wanted to play in a punk band, drink beers and travel around. I didn’t really think much past that. I got really burned out. When I moved back home, I started writing songs again just for fun.”

Coinciding with the move, the band wrote and recorded the bluesy, scuzzy and guitar-heavy tracks on Say I Won’t. The album features Ian Kirkpatrick on drums and Barrett’s younger brother, Jim Barrett, filling in guitar and vocal harmonies.

Incorporating the touring band into the booth produced potential for newfound album production challenges. However, Jim Barrett finds the fresh Bass Drum of Death composition is a welcome change that benefits the album.

“I think it’s been a good adjustment because it opens everybody up a little bit more,” he said. “We’re a crew and that’s what I think feels good.”

Bringing the touring band into the studio is evidenced on Say I Won’t by a much rawer sound, made possible with the help of producer Patrick Carney. Stuffing the trio and rock-geared producer in the booth results in a collection of raw, guitar-driven garage-revival tracks perfect for a leather-clad rock’n’roll bush party.

No track captures the change that occurred for John Barrett and the band like the Brit-pop-tinged track “Find It.” The lines, “You can find it here. You can find it anywhere,” illustrate that finding yourself happens internally, whether you’re in the Big Apple or your hometown.

Fuzzy guitar hooks outline the melodic singing and harmonizing on the track “Everybody’s Gonna Be There.” The song’s lyrics capture the essence of a seasoned rock and roller returning home to produce a party-style rock-and-roll album with loved ones.

Next for the band is a cross-Canada album tour beginning May 26. Many destinations on the band’s extensive tour list will be firsts for Barrett.

“I’m very excited. I’ve never played Montreal,” Jim Barrett said. “I’ve always played like Toronto but I’m super pumped to get back up and play some shows.”

Say I Won’t is a foot-tapping documentary of a rock band returning to its roots with the help of the people who make a house feel like home.

Bass Drum of Death will play at Ottawa’s The Brass Monkey on June 6.

Featured image by Steve Gullick.