Home News Runte seeks second term as Carleton president

Runte seeks second term as Carleton president

56
For the next few years, Runte said she hopes to “review, revise and renew” the university’s strategic plan and make the future more sustainable through fundraising. (Photo by: Lasia Kretzel)

Roseann Runte is seeking a second five-year term as university president, and Carleton’s Board of Governors, which has the power to reappoint her, has launched the required consultations process to do just that.

“I would like to continue to support the efforts of faculty and students to achieve the dreams we all share,” Runte said via email.

The board has formed an advisory committee to look into the reappointment of the president. Members of the Carleton community are being asked to submit their views and comments on Runte, according to a message sent out by Jonathan Wong, the undergraduate students’ representative on the committee.

“So the idea is to take in as much feedback as we can from the community, and then you talk to people who work more closely with her [Runte],” Wong said.

The message from Wong identifies several qualities a university president must have. These include an ability to advocate for post-secondary education, a “commitment to Carleton’s mission,” and a focus on the student experience.

“Over the last four years, we (faculty, students and staff) have all worked together to create strong, new academic programs and to enrich the student experience,” said Runte, pointing to programs like first-year experience, the Bounce Back program and the mental health initiative.

Runte also noted new construction projects completed under her tenure, including the River and Canal buildings, the new residence and extended residence dining space.

For the next few years, Runte said she hopes to “review, revise and renew” the university’s strategic plan and make the future more sustainable through fundraising. She also hopes to create more “research partnerships and economic development collaborations” with the community.

“This is a time for Carleton to take on a leadership role in higher education,” Runte said.

“I would, with the assistance of faculty, staff, students, alumni and the community, like to take up that challenge.”

The advisory committee held its first meeting Feb. 27. In addition to an undergraduate representative, the committee contains representatives of the university’s staff, faculty and graduate students. Based on the committee’s recommendations, the board will decide on Runte’s reappointment, according to the university’s guidelines.

Comments from the community are to be treated in the “strictest confidence,” Wong said. The committee proceedings themselves will be held in-camera, meaning they will not be open to the public, according to the university’s guidelines.

Undergraduate students can submit their comments to Undergrad-Feedback@cunet.carleton.ca .