RRRA president Sami Islam presented an unaudited budget to council at a virtual meeting on Nov. 24, 2021. [Image from Screengrab]

The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) voted in three new members, presented their budget and struck a residence life services committee during a virtual meeting on Nov. 24. 

President Sami Islam presented RRRA’s budget at the virtual meeting. Last year, RRRA’s budget was presented in December and passed only weeks before the term ended in March.

This year’s presented budget was allocated for 16 months as opposed to a year, from last May to next August. Islam wrote in an email to the Charlatan that this would give the council more control over how the executive spends their money as well as more consistency between terms.

“In the past, council would not approve the budget until October or November at the earliest. By this point though, the executive is about halfway through their term,” Islam said. “It simply doesn’t make sense to approve a budget when half the spending has already taken place.”

This year’s budget proposes a total revenue of approximately $885,000 and expenses of around $811,000 for a total profit of about $73,000. 

RRRA also elected building representatives to fill empty spots in council. Vincent Pornsawanh ran for Dundas, and Lily Bacchiochi and Cameron Bennett-Ferland both ran for Stormont. All three candidates were elected and immediately became active voting members of RRRA. 

Currently, only 25 seats of the possible 76 council spots are filled. 

Council also selected members for the residence life services committee, which has two spots filled by council members and one by an executive. This committee meets approximately four times a term with Laura Storey, director of housing, and other residence staff, to advocate on behalf of students with the housing administration. 

Running for these positions were five council members. Stormont councillor Davin Caratao and Prescott councillor Sopuruchi Ahunanya were voted by the council to join vice president (administration) Mira Gillis on this committee. 

Gillis said starting in the winter term, free menstrual products will be available in the washrooms in Residence Commons. Gillis added the program was to test for interest.

“It’s more a pilot project,” Gillis said. “To see if it’s something students are actually interested in.” 

RRRA’s next meeting’s date has not been specified.

Featured image from Screengrab.