The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) announced April 7 the introduction of an on-campus move-out service for students on residence, according to RRRA vice-president (administration) Graham Pedregosa.

Pedregosa said the services are free of charge to students and will provide boxes and pushcarts for the month of April.

“We recycled a lot of the boxes from Abstentions over the last couple of months,” Pedregosa said. “One of the best ideas was to recycle these boxes and use them for move-out services.”

He added this service is a pilot program entirely run by RRRA’s staff and is funded by money from the 2014-15 budget.

“Our staff in the office is here from now till the end of exam season,” Pedregosa said. “They will help lift boxes and will make sure students will be getting the resources they need to move out.”

Pedregosa said if the service becomes successful, it would be implemented and expanded in the coming years given RRRA’s financial security after the recent referendum passed.

Residence students voted to increase the RRRA levy by $5 a semester in upcoming years.

“Because the referendum passed, we’re able to constantly have that service ready for students at the end of the year for next year,” Pedregosa said.

Naomi Librach, a first-year journalism student, said she will be using RRRA’s move-out services during her exam week.

“I think it is really helpful for students, especially the boxes,” Librach said. “Now students like me have options to help them move out effectively and quickly.”

Librach added RRRA should provide the services year-round.

“Some students move out after one semester or whatnot, and they need help to do so just as much as most students do at the end of the year,” she said.