Photo by Amanda Vollmershausen.

The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) announced its commitment to combatting campus sexual violence March 11 with the launch of its new sexual violence and harassment task force.

“Our ultimate goal is to reduce the amount of sexual assaults at Carleton and to make campus a comfortable place for students where they can truly feel safe,” said Arpita Dar, vice-president (programming) at RRRA and leader of the task force.

The campaign comes after a March 6 announcement from Premier Kathleen Wynne, which unveiled the Ontario government’s three-year plan to address sexual harassment and violence.

The plan included new legislation forcing universities and colleges to step up efforts towards implementation of sexual violence policies and prevention tools.

“We are going to make sure students, in particular those who are living on campus, are heard in the new processes outlined by the Government of Ontario and we will immediately begin to work to shape upcoming university policies,” Dar said.

The campaign will also offer free safe space training to all RRRA staff and any members of the Carleton community who want to sign up.

“As student leaders, we have a responsibility to combat sexual assault and these new measures will strengthen the measures we already have in place,” Dar said.

While the campaign will begin immediately, Dar said RRRA has planned an expansion for next year in order to effectively target incoming first-year students.

“Consent is not just sexy, it’s necessary. This message needs to be loud and clear from day one,” she said.

A recent investigation by CBC found 19 sexual assaults were reported at Carleton between 2009 and 2013.

Brenna Mackay, a second-year journalism student, said the campaign is great and is an important addition to Carleton’s campus.

“It’s definitely a necessary campaign because it’s clear from the past year that sexual assault is a big issue on campuses all across Canada,” Mackay said. “It’s a great time to bring this subject to the table and let people know about the different approaches they can take.”

Mackay also said the safe space training in particular will be an important step towards changing the conversation around sexual violence on campus.

“Most students still aren’t sure how to address or react to the issue of sexual assault,” she said. “Safe space training will definitely be a good way to make the issue real and even preventable for Carleton students.”