Tyra Banks will have to step aside this winter as Carleton’s annual Next Top Model competition brings together students from all backgrounds to compete in this year’s fiercest contest yet.

The competition is structured similarly to the popular reality show. Once all audition photos have been posted to the official Facebook group, three rounds of aspiring models will be eliminated according to Facebook likes.

Once the main cast of models is chosen, a panel of RRRA council members and volunteers will determine who moves on to the next round. With the help of a hired photographer and donated clothing, this competition is slated to be the best one yet.

Third-year communications student and RRRA vice-president (programming) Rawan Abujoub said she is hopeful for the annual event.

“It’s diverse. Everyone expects skinny tall girls to be the models, but in this competition it’s not the case,” Abujoub said.

“It’s not about showing off skin, or traditional sex appeal — it’s about showing who you are and giving Carleton a chance to see that,” she said.

Determining the winner of the competition will take place as a runway event in Fenn Lounge on March 23.

“I think that RRRA spends a lot of its time focusing on first-years as a majority – as the residence association, it’s appropriate,” she said.

“It’s a great way to meet new people and put yourself out there for more opportunities in the future,” she said.

Planning takes the form of weekly meetings, as Abujoub and her team search for sponsors and contact Algonquin College students for hair and makeup.

Second-year law student Sidney Otoboeze participated in Carleton’s Top Model event last year, and is back again for more.

“Overall, I think it’s a good initiative and something that students should look to do,” he said.

“It’s fun, and a good way to meet people as well. Last year there was about almost 2,500 people on the [Facebook] page – it promotes a sense of community at Carleton.”

Otoboeze has already posted his photo to the Facebook group in anticipation for the first elimination round.

“Getting to see the page [last year], it was a form for people to express themselves. It was not the ‘model’ idea that you think about – it’s accepting of anyone,” he said.

However, not all students share the same optimistic view on the event.

First-year communications student Sarah Vahabi shares a differing opinion on the event as a student living in residence.

“It has potential to be a fun thing that brings students together and give exposure to some,” Vahabi said.

“Whether it’s worth devoting as much time as RRRA is going to devote, I’m not so sure,” she said.

As the competition remains in its early stages of development, Vahabi is “willing to see how it pans out.”

Nevertheless, organizers have high hopes for the competition, and expect to bring students at Carleton closer together.

First-year criminology student and volunteer Natalie Mohamed believes the event will “open various opportunities for students to come out and be more comfortable with other students.”

“It’s not something that all students typically get the opportunity to do,” she said.

Photos for the competition can be submitted up until Feb. 18 at 11:59 p.m.