Photo by Ashley Metzger.

After three and a half months of construction, Rooster’s Coffeehouse has reopened with a new layout, furniture, and lighting, finishing a renovation that gave the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) business a complete facelift.

The changes update Rooster’s to a modern, “more 2014” look, and have “definitely solved the accessibility issues,” CUSA president Folarin Odunayo said.

“The new Rooster’s features three fully accessible cashiers, a pathway for where you can get your milk and sugar and whatnot, a lot more space in the front area so you don’t immediately hit the line on the way in, and the floor’s a lot more consistent so wheelchair users can navigate easier,” Odunayo said. “Accessibility was a big component of the renovations.”
Students had mixed reactions about the renovation.

“It’s brighter, and it looks like the line’s really improved. The lineup used to be right against the door so you’d have to walk between people in line to get in. The organization’s definitely better,” said Alysia Ross, a third-year psychology student.

“On the other hand, it was a little homier before. It had a lot more of a comfortable feeling. I don’t really like the tables as much, and it doesn’t look as inviting to do schoolwork here as it used to,” she added. “There are less comfy chairs.”

Other students agreed there were pros and cons to the renovation.

“Coffee here is good, and it’s cheaper than at Tim Hortons, which adds up if you get some every day,” said Brock Lubal, a third-year business commerce student. “But honestly, I liked it a bit better before. It looks like a cafeteria now, and it’s probably not as comfortable for longer stays.”

Rooster’s served more than 6,000 students the first Monday it was back in business according to CUSA vice-president (finance) Reda Zarrug.

Some students sorely missed the cheap coffee during the downtime caused by the renovation.

“It’s probably the best coffee on campus. I’m glad Rooster’s is back though. When it was closed, I was kind of lost,” Ross said. “I’d have to bring coffee from home.”

“Rooster’s is definitely one of our more popular businesses and it feels good to have it open and running again,” Odunayo said. “Now it’s all about improving on the current service that we can provide.”