Illustration of a cyclist on a city bike (Graphic by Marcus Poon)

There are many different kinds of cycling and just as many reasons why people like it. However, if you’d like to start cycling (or would like to cycle more often), there are some important basics to consider.

“We think that anyone can get on their bike and ride,” said Peter Tregunno, president of the Ottawa Bicycle Club.

“But there are a couple of tips and tricks that you learn from these things, these types of courses, or from people, and you can get on, you can ride, and you can survive.”

“The first thing I ask people is ‘what do you want to get out of this?’ because there’s so many different facets to cycling that there’s not an easy answer to that question,” Tregunno said.

“How you get started depends on what you want out of it.”

As such, novice cyclists should consider what kind of riding they want to do.

“Is it, paths, or longer rides, or if it’s road riding, or even a recreational short ride?” said Stephane Bigras, who is the manager of local sports store Fresh Air Experience.

“We ask all these kinds of questions when somebody comes in, so we narrow it down to a few choices.”

Getting a bike that suits the kind of ride you’re going on (and fits you properly) is useful, if you don’t already have one.

However you ride, though, it’s important to have the right gear.

“You’re touching the bike at 3 places: your feet, your butt, and your hands. And if you’re uncomfortable in any of those three, you’re going to give up and you’re going to toss your bike into the canal,” Tregunno said.

“Expect to spend some money, or borrow some equipment, for a pair of cycling shoes, a decent pair of cycling shorts . . . A cycling jersey is [also] typically nice, or a breathable top, [and] a helmet.”

If you plan to bike regularly, you’ll also need some gear—and training—available to deal with a flat tire, which might otherwise leave you stranded. To fix one of those, you’ll need to carry an extra inner tube, tire levers, and a pump, according to Tregunno.

“Go into any bike shop if it’s not a busy time, and if you have a flat, watch as a mechanic fixes it, and they’ll show you the tricks to get it done. There are also a number of good YouTube videos on what the tricks are,” he said.

The city of Ottawa has many bike paths available for the discerning cyclist. Local cycling stores carry maps of these paths, as does the City of Ottawa. Google Maps has also been updated with the latest Ottawa bike routes.

Perhaps the best resource for cycling information, though, is the Ottawa cycling community itself. For one, all of the bicycle stores in the city may be businesses first, but cycling enthusiasts usually run them.

“If you’re buying a bike or buying an accessory and you have a question, they’ll usually know, and if they don’t know, there’s someone in each one of these shops, guaranteed, every day, who does know,” Tregunno said.

The best way to find out more, according to Tregunno, is to go to the people who cycle themselves.  “The best people to talk to are people who are doing it,”  he said.