Rob Smart is taking over the head coach position of Carleton’s varsity men’s basketball team while his predecessor and uncle, Dave Smart, takes a leave of absence for the 2015-2016 season.

“Dave raised the bar for Ravens athletics and has led the way by developing highly successful student-athletes,” said Jennifer Brenning, director of Carleton Athletics, in a statement. “We are pleased to support Dave with his request and are encouraged that Rob has agreed to serve as interim coach, providing a smooth transition as the Ravens prepare for another successful season.”

Dave Smart and Carleton alike have been emphatic that taking the upcoming season off for professional development affirms his commitment to the Ravens and Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) basketball. Dave Smart is assistant coach with Canada’s men’s national team, and he and his wife have two young children. This summer, he coached the Canadian senior men’s national team to earn a silver medal at the 2015 Pan Am Games.

“By doing this, I’m making a commitment to be at Carleton as long as I coach,” Dave Smart told Yahoo! Sports Canada. “I’ll have a lot more family time. It’s the perfect time to do it . . . I’m hopefully going to be really busy next summer if we qualify for the Olympics.”

Rob Smart, long-time assistant coach, has served as interim coach in past exhibition games.

“Rob’s been unbelievable to me for so many years. I’m not sure if he wants to be a head coach for the long haul, but he’ll do a great job,” Dave Smart told Yahoo! Sports Canada.

The Ravens played their first game of the season Aug. 4, which they lost 63-59 to the Murray State Racers. The team will compete against Valparaiso Aug. 13 and play Baylor twice on Aug. 14.

While Dave Smart will not be coaching the Ravens in any official capacity, he said he plans to help the team as best he can.

“I’ll be around helping the guys,” Smart told Yahoo! Sports Canada. “Just not at the practices and games.”