The Racialized and International Student Experience (RISE) centre and the Carleton University Students’ Association’s (CUSA) hosted “Snatched,” a conversation around Black hair that took place on Feb. 10.

“I feel like in social media we have this thing where people would say, ‘Oh your edges are snatched.’ It’s just kind of like a Black reference,” said Ruby Ezeh, program coordinator at  the RISE centre, on the name of the event.

“It attracts our demographic and whenever I hear the word I automatically think of hair,” Ezeh added.

The theme of this year’s Black History Month is “Blissfully Black,” which Ezeh said is meant to be “very inclusive.”

“It’s very welcoming, inviting and interactive and that’s how we wanted this event to be as well,” she said.

The event was hosted by Tinu Akinwande, coordinator of the Womxn’s Centre, where she spoke about the symbolism of the afro and its political statement, caring for different types of hair textures and transitioning to natural hair from relaxed or textured hair.

“I want people to understand more about [Black hair] and where to find resources, especially in Ottawa, because it’s not very forgiving when it comes to textured hair products,” she said.

Students shared stories and tips throughout the event. [Photo by Lahari Nanda]

Akinwande said she wanted to educate students from all racial backgrounds about myths and stereotypes around Black hair care, and consequently debunk them.

“One of the things we like to pride ourselves on, especially with programming, is intersectionality,”  Akinwande said, adding this time of the month is when the spotlight is on topics that surround Black culture.

Ezeh agreed, saying this conversation allows everyone to know more about the politics of Black hair, not just Black people.

“Not only do Black people need to know the politics behind hair, but we need the world and other races to understand the politics behind hair,” she said.

Black hair and professionalism were also discussed, with students sharing their experiences on assumptions based on their hairstyles.

“Hair is how we are viewed in society. People have told me, ‘You look more friendly when you wear your natural hair,’ and I’m very offended. Why do I look more friendly when I’m wearing my natural hair, as compared to wearing a weave or a wig or my braids?”  — Ruby Ezeh, RISE program coordinator

Many students also shared their own personal hair journey and tips for their hair care throughout the event.

“I’m very passionate about natural hair and on campus, I haven’t really seen that many Black people with natural hair,” said Nicole Mensah, a first-year biology student.

Mensah added this event was a chance to have “an open conversation and dialogue with other Black people on campus.”

“[Black hair] is very important,” said Gift Osarenkhoe, a first-year criminology student.

“If you go through history, we were forced to consent to the European beauty standard. This is so unfair to us because we have such beautiful hair and now we can express it somewhat,” she said.

Ezeh said the event was a perfect time for the Black community to come together to discuss issues that may affect them today.

“I think [hair] unifies us all, so why not do an event pertaining to our hair and under our month?”

RISE’s Black History Month events will run until Feb. 25, with the upcoming “Rise n Vibe” event taking place on Feb. 25.

Featured image by Lahari Nanda.