The Rise and Run Crew on a Friday morning run lead by organizers Catalina Fernandez (left), Camille Arseneault (middle) and Samantha Buchanan (right) in Ottawa, On. [photo by Harvin Jassal / Rise and Run Crew]

Early on Friday mornings, while most of Ottawa sleeps quietly, an ambitious group of runners gathers at Windsor Park looking for sweat and connection. 

Rise and Run Crew, a local weekly running club, had its first meet in April and has grown rapidly since. Their fame is partially due to viral social media content, which has drawn both long-time runners and newcomers alike. 

University of Ottawa students Camille Arseneault and Catalina Fernandez launched the club in April 2024. Samantha Buchanan, a medical residency student, quickly joined the two, and the trio have since invested plenty of time and energy in the project. 

“I think week after week … the Ottawa running community continues to surprise us in a positive way,” Arseneault said. 

After a strong showing for its first snowy run in April, the group has only grown. Now, the number of runners often surpasses 100 each week, and the group had to move to Windsor Park from Happy Goat Coffee Co. on Bank Street to accommodate larger crowds. 

The club attributes some of its success to its large social media influence — especially on Instagram and TikTok — enabling the group to reach a wider audience of current and aspiring runners. 

“Social media is a vessel to build community and get people together,” Fernandez said. 

John Surette was one of the runners drawn to the club after seeing a social media post and quickly attended his first run on May 17. 

“Immediately, I was astonished by how many people there were and how excited everybody was to run so early in the morning,” Surette said. 

Also in the crowd are newcomers like uOttawa student Vanya Micic, who did not initially have much experience with running. 

However, when she saw a social media post from Rise and Run Crew, she jumped on the opportunity and brought friends along with her. 

“It’s honestly something I look forward to every week now, even though I had never gotten into running before that,” Micic said. 

Buchanan said she had a similar arc with running after previously having little experience. It wasn’t until 2020 that she started running through the pandemic. 

“I’ve fallen in love with [running] completely,” Buchanan said. “I wake up early and go for runs and look forward to it.” 

Although the club may focus on running first, many members say the club’s social atmosphere keeps them coming back. 

The Rise and Run Crew begin their group runs every Friday morning at 6:15am at Windsor Park in Ottawa, On. [photo by Harvin Jassal / Rise and Run Crew]
Arseneault, Fernandez and Buchanan emphasize building community within the group. 

”You go to one meet, and it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll walk away with a new friend or a new connection,” Fernandez said.

As each weekly run winds down, runners end at Oat Couture Oatmeal Cafe on Bank Street to drink, eat and chat. 

“What I really love about Rise and Run is that no matter the pace, no matter who you are, at the end everybody gets together and chats in front of the cafe,” Surette said. 

Rise and Run’s community focus extends to partnerships with businesses like Salomon, including sourcing merchandise from local companies and partnering with athletic stores.

“I think collaborations with local businesses is something that we’re passionate about and proud of, just by nature of being in the Ottawa community,” Buchanan said. 

On Fridays, warm up starts at 6:15 a.m. and the run begins at 6:30 a.m. Runners can choose between six-kilometre and eight-kilometre routes, both of which follow the canal path through the Glebe. 

“I really like the route along the Rideau Canal,” said Meghan Lapierre, a runner who has attended the weekly event since the club’s inception. “It’s one of the nicest paths in Ottawa.” 

New members are encouraged and current members promise a welcoming environment. 

“There’s nothing to lose. Everybody’s super friendly and talkative. It’s really easy to make friends and run alongside people,” Lapierre said. 

Surette’s advice is to not overthink it and “just show up.”

“As you’re open and eager to get to know people, you’ll have an amazing time,” Surrette said. “It’s honestly been a top highlight of the summer.”

Featured image by Harvin Jassal / Rise and Run Crew