Chloe x Halle released their newest R&B album, Ungodly Hour, on June 12 and it gave me everything I wanted from the singing sisters.

Originally set to drop on June 5, the release date was postponed because the sisters did not want to distract from the Black Lives Matter movement and ongoing protests. 

This album was worth the wait. The bar was already set high for these two since they signed onto Beyoncé’s label Parkwood Entertainment in 2015, and the sisters definitely rose to the occasion. 

Chloe and Halle co-wrote all of the lyrics for the songs on their album — tackling themes of self-love, relationships, and independence — all the things we crave in an R&B album. 

Relatability

In an interview with NPR, the sisters talked about how Chloe came up with the album name. 

“During the ungodly hour, you’re thinking of all of the insecurities that you have, the ups and downs of your life — everything,” Halle said.

This feeling of insecurity is something that everyone, at times, can relate to. In their song “Overwhelmed,” their lyrics “I don’t do well under pressure, I don’t know at all, I wish I had all the answers” resonated with me. School can make me feel very overwhelmed with having to juggle being away from home, making sure I’m eating right, sleeping, finishing my school work on time and going to work. Whether it comes from pressures of school, work or relationships, we have all felt overwhelmed at some point. 

Chloe and Halle’s lyrics are also very personal and give listeners a glimpse into their private lives. “A few days yea, we’re cool, then you disappear like I’m a fool,” gives lyrical voice to what it is like to date in 2020. The duo also emphasize how hard it can be to try and move on when a person in your past won’t stay in the past, “I can’t be thinking of you, When I’m alone with my boo … don’t make it harder on me.”

Key tracks: “Do It”, “Ungodly Hour”, “Lonely”, “Don’t Make It Harder On Me”, “Wonder What She Thinks of Me”

Representation

The sisters’ album also has an impact beyond the music industry alone. Often, Black women have had to conform themselves to the Eurocentric standard of beauty, so it is amazing to see two Black women with locs being celebrated and inspiring others with their musical talent. For many young Black women like me, it feels empowering to see two Black women be authentically themselves and represent Black culture by wearing locs.

Locs have come with a lot of stigma that Black people have had to work hard against. Being a famous Black person doesn’t protect you from racist comments from ignorant people. Back in 2015, when Zendaya wore locs to the Oscars, Giuliana Rancic made a comment saying she thought Zendaya’s hair smelled like “patchouli oil” and “maybe weed.” Zendaya later took to Twitter to call out this racist comment. This is why seeing Chloe and Halle wearing locs confidently is so important to many Black girls that want to wear their hair like them. 

When talking about representation in pop culture, it is also important to address colourism. It’s no secret that women with a darker complexion receive a lot of hateful and racist comments about their features, even more so if they are in the limelight. There has been a long history of ridiculing darker-skinned women. 

Chloe and Halle mentioned in previous interviews how hard it can be for young Black girls to love and accept themselves. Thankfully, they had their parents to teach them how to love themselves despite insecurities. 

Our parents have always taught us that you’re beautiful and what makes you different shines that beauty more,” Chloe said in an interview with EUR Web.

Halle went through her own ridicule when she was cast for Disney’s Live Action The Little Mermaid in 2019. Many Disney fans were mad because they did not think that Halle, being Black, would be the right fit for their favourite white childhood princess. 

Rising stars

Despite racist backlash, Chloe and Halle are thriving. Recently, they did a live performance of their song “Do it” for the Today Show, which was staged on a tennis court and shot with a drone. Everyone has had to get creative in the last few months with all the precautions that need to be taken for COVID-19, and the sisters are no exception. I especially loved the creativity shown in their performance outfits. The bright pink and yellow jumpsuits they wore looked vibrant against their skin. 

While COVID-19 has presented some challenges, there are already visuals out for “Do It” and “Forgive Me” and the promise of more to come in the next few weeks. I am excited for whatever these two creatives have in store next. The album is definitely going to be in my constant rotation for the next couple of weeks. 

It is important that during a time like this, with protests and calls for action, we still create art we love. Even though this album did not speak on issues of police brutality or racism, by these women being themselves, they’re still contributing to Black excellence.

Featured image provided by Chloe x Halle on Spotify.