Zeus has served as Jason Collett's backing band. (Photo provided)

Heavy anticipation hung in the air as the audience waited shoulder-to-shoulder for any sign of Zeus, destined for Zaphod Beeblebrox’s stage on Nov. 3.

The four-piece teamed up with Canadian solo artist Dan Griffin of Arkells fame, and frontman Allan Chaaraoui of Lebanon-based Lazzy Lung.

Under a brooding skull left over from Halloween and clad in worn-out boots, fitted slacks and unruly hair, Zeus unloaded their combustible guitar licks, unwavering harmonies, and unleashed the relentless rhythmic pulse of their seasoned drummer.

However, Zeus’s tight live show didn’t formulate overnight. They added feathers to their hats by crafting two well-received albums and even backing up and collaborating with Canadian indie rocker, Jason Collett.

Zeus’s first album Say Us, nominated for a 2010 Polaris Prize, is described as being foundational to Zeus, according to Neil Quin—one of the band’s vocalists and multi-instrumentalists.

“After the first record, we had a band,” Quin said. “You could say that Zeus had a more solidified vision after Say Us.”

After releasing their latest album called Bustling Visions in March, Zeus further honed in on their crafted sound. Their slick leads, progressive harmonies, and stomp-worthy tunes are reminiscent of some of the heavy hitters of rock such as Queen and The Beatles with some contemporary notes of influence from bands such as The Flaming Lips.

“It’s rock ‘n’ roll imbued with no shortage of melodies and hooks,” Quin said. “What is more is that we are always trying to outdo ourselves.”

Healthy competition was easily identifiable on stage between multi-faceted musicians Neil Quin, Mike O’Brien, Carlin Nicholson, and drummer Rob Drake. A fixed frontman was disposed of when the three colossal songwriters each had time to shine both vocally and instrumentally.

Numbers such as “Are You Gonna Waste My Time” sung by Quin, “How Does It Feel” sung by O’Brien, and “Love/Pain” sung by Nicholson are examples of each member’s musical capabilities and mutually shared spotlight. As a three-way songwriting force, each member brought out their own particular musical flare which kept the audience thoroughly captivated.

After an ecstatic show, Quin couldn’t seem to wipe the grin off his face.

“I feel cute, you know? Better yet, I feel appreciated,” he said. “Ottawa has provided nothing but warm welcomes and solid handshakes.”

Dan Griffin, who opened for Zeus with his nostalgic folk rock numbers, applauded the Ottawa crowd and the notorious music venue.

“Ottawa blows my mind every time,” Griffin said. “Rock ‘n’ roll clubs just don’t exist like this anymore.”

Quin said the group feels like “rock ‘n’ roll robots” the majority of the time due to constant touring and writing compulsions, yet Quin cannot imagine being anywhere else.

“I’ll never be the same person again,” he said. “I am where I am because I want and need to be.”

With a hefty European tour starting on Nov. 30, Quin said the band hopes to continue to deliver their stellar show and continue to “keep making records and shooting for the stars.”