Jade London in Enter the Drag Dragon, an Ottawa-based film which premiered in 2023. [Photo by Petr Maur]

The Ottawa-based film Enter The Drag Dragon is lighthearted and comical. Filled with queer characters whose accentuated makeup matches their full personalities, this no-budget satire from Quebecois filmmaker Lee Demarbre is best watched in drag.

Enter the Drag Dragon follows Crunch, an outgoing and eccentric detective, alongside their quirky best friend and fast food delivery girl, Jaws, as they try to save the Mayfair Theatre, owned by their mentor, Buck. Through a series of debacles, the trio takes on a case to retrieve a painting stolen from a local museum. The reward money for returning the painting goes towards saving the Mayfair.

Three different actors play Crunch throughout the film: Sam Kellerman, Jade London and Samnang Tep. The actors first switch when Crunch is injured and again when the character undergoes facial reconstruction surgery. Every portrayal of Crunch was better and more humorous than the last, with each actor bringing a unique take and comedic style to the character.

Buck, played by Phil Caracas, delivered stellar comedy through side commentary and dramatic gestures. While not initially a main character, his lovable personality quickly became central to the film.

Mark MacDonald’s portrayal of Sebastian, Crunch’s love interest, further enhanced the storyline. When this awkwardly charismatic character’s dog goes missing, Crunch enthusiastically takes on the case, and romantic tension ensues. This tension was campily comical. While Crunch’s feelings were blatantly obvious, the reserved Sebastian often stumbled over his phrases.

Cast members of Enter the Drag Dragon. [Photo by Petr Maur]

The film’s large cast made it challenging to keep track of the characters at the beginning of the movie, but the main characters’ individually eccentric personalities quickly differentiated themselves.

Makeup designers Cory Lynn Bercovitch and Angie Radczenko meticulously crafted the drag makeup for the cast and all of the Crunch actors. Tep’s makeup as the third Crunch, accentuated with dramatic eyeshadow, was particularly memorable.

With its brilliant use of satire, Enter the Drag Dragon challenges social norms such as heteronormativity. The heroes in the film are queer, while the villains are straight.

While Enter the Drag Dragon’s lack of budget was evident, the low production value offered a rare twist on the satirical genre, allowing the movie’s themes of comedy, lightheartedness and celebrating queerness to shine even brighter.

Enter the Drag Dragon is being released nationwide to select Cineplex theatres starting June 2.

Featured image by Petr Maur.