The eclectic, genre-bending songs of the New York-based band MICHELLE likely already take up space in your playlists. Their dreamy instrumentals paired with mesmerizing vocals create a unique, unmistakable sound. Having steadily garnered a passionate young fanbase after the release of their first album in 2018, the sextet have returned with their sophomore album “AFTER DINNER WE TALK DREAMS,” released on March 4.

Consisting of producers Charlie Kilgore and Julian Kaufman, and vocalists Sofia D’Angelo, Layla Ku, Emma Lee and Jamee Lockard, the bond of this group seemed to come about like lightning in a bottle. In 2018, Kaufman brought the singers together in a group chat to create their debut album “HEATWAVE.” It became an amalgamation of all of their artistic abilities and interests, shifting between alternative, R&B and dream-pop genres. Their passionate ode to coming of age in New York City resonated with listeners, prompting them to continue working together. 

The group moves on to more mature themes on “AFTER DINNER WE TALK DREAMS,” discussing discovering themselves as young adults in the city during an unparalleled moment in time. Their first single, “SYNCOPATE,” was released last September and is chock-full of the band’s trademark warm sound. It lyrically delves into the emotions involved in an all-consuming desire and is paired with flowery instrumentals that transport you into the heat of summer. 

They trade in the warm sound for an R&B infused breakup ballad on “MESS U MADE,” a track in which cohesion between the four vocalists really shines through. Their voices blend flawlessly and compliment each other beautifully, making it sound as if they were made to sing together. Each vocalist also holds their own, able to fully step into the lead vocal spot on a song.

A more mellow stand out track on the album is “SPACED OUT, PHASED OUT,” offering a stripped-back production that lets the lyrical message come to the forefront. It’s a candid portrait of the darker periods of youth in which the future looks blurry and easily overwhelming. The lines “Lost weeks looking at the moon / The road right before me / A road in my rearview” are reminiscent of the anguish involved in struggling to find your path and wallowing in self-doubt.

MICHELLE’s lyrical resonance is at its best when they discuss the importance of embracing your inner power and carving something meaningful for yourself despite adversity. Various tracks on this album are similar to a song in a coming-of-age-movie soundtrack, set to play when the protagonist rids themselves of the opinions of others. “LAYLA IN THE ROCKET” is one of my favourites, taking this message to the extreme and suggesting leaving Earth entirely can be a means to get where you need to be.    

Similar sentiments are found in “POSE,” which shares the journey of a girl finding inner confidence and learning how to be okay on her own. Listening to the bridge gives me the urge to run outside and dance down the sidewalk, living out the power felt through the lyrics: “Not long ‘til I’m taking that force / ‘Til I give in to the rhythm / And I get it back up again.”

The variance in style of each song makes for a very unique listening experience that contradicts any feelings of monotony sometimes found in albums. There seems to be a song for any mood you happen to be in, prompting you to return to it. However, at times it lacks the sonic and emotional cohesion of “HEATWAVE” and makes me feel as if I was listening to a collection of singles.

But I believe the tonal and genre-bending nature of MICHELLE’s music is one of their main strengths. They are capable of bringing in listeners of many different tastes and speaking to a large audience. Their emotionally resonant songs about moving through pain and jadedness of modern life are bound to strike a chord with everyone, especially young people.

“AFTER DINNER WE TALK DREAMS” is an album to dance to at the end of the world and is bound to propel MICHELLE even further into fame. The band is currently opening for indie powerhouse Mitski on tour in North America.

Featured image via MICHELLE.