Tarek Jafer as part of the Blue Stones performs at CityFolk Friday, Sept. 9, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Sean Sisk via CityFolk]

The second day of CityFolk saw warm weather, a full moon, sprawling crowds and extraordinary musical performances.

Early birds trickled into Lansdowne, eager to snag the best spot. Some guests rushed to plant fold-up chairs and blankets, ready to settle into a relaxing evening of entertainment. Others grabbed a beer before cementing their place directly in front of the stage.

Sophia Radisch was first to take the stage, a 24-year-old Canadian singer-songwriter who recently performed on Bluesfest’s RBC Stage July 10.

Sophia Radisch performs at CityFolk Friday, Sept. 9, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Sean Sisk via CityFolk]
Radisch’s opening was anything but subtle, as she instantly put on her edgy rocker persona, complete with a raspy voice, fiery red hair and an iconic top hat. 

Opening night two of CityFolk with a guitar-wielding, alternative rock queen such as Radisch is an unexpected but appreciated choice. Radisch instantly had the crowd dancing and set a high-energy tone for the rest of the night. She performed her original music, including her 2019 single “Crossroads.”

Following Radisch, The Blue Stones took the stage, ready to put on a show. Despite being just two people, the rock duo had the power and stage presence of a full band. Tarek Jafer on guitar and lead vocals and Justin Tessier on drums and backing vocals filled the stage with their powerful beats.

Justin Tessier as part of The Blue Stones performs at CityFolk Friday, Sept. 9, 2022 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Sean Sisk via CityFolk]
As the sun began to set on Lansdowne’s Great Lawn, The Blue Stones belted out hit after hit, including the track “Black Holes,” sharing the name with their 2015 debut album. Jafer explained the song is about the feeling of having to choose between pursuing something safe or doing what you love, adding he’s thrilled he did not pick the safe option. The duo finished their dynamic set with “Shakin’ Off the Rust.”

Throughout the night, the crowd continued to grow in anticipation of the final act: The Glorious Sons. The band certainly lived up to their name, delivering a show that was nothing short of glorious. 

It was clear from the minute the band stepped on stage that the crowd adored them. Shrieks and screams were consistently ringing for the entirety of the set.

The audience was most boisterous during “S.O.S. (Sawed Off Shotgun),” joining Emmons, the lead singer, in belting out the tune. Emmons also gave a heartfelt shoutout to Van Helvoort, the latest addition to the band. 

To the audience’s disappointment, the group eventually finished their set, marking a moonlit, jam-packed performance that most artists can only dream of attaining. 

Featured image by Sean Sisk.