With flames going off at the side of the stage, the lead singer in an all-white bedazzled outfit sings with his band on stage.
CityFolk headliner Greta Van Fleet performs on Sept. 12, 2024. [Photo by Sean Sisk via CityFolk]

A delightful collection of folk and rock artists lit up the Great Lawn for a passionate and electric second day of CityFolk.

Down at the Fasken Stage, an enjoyable lineup of folk artists captivated and charmed audiences.

Jacob River Milnes showed off his distinct blend of bluesy rock ‘n’ roll hits with a touch of country.

Man in a white cowboy hat with a red guitar passionately plays the guitar on stage.
Jacob River Milnes jams out on the Fasken Stage on Sept. 12, 2024. [Photo by Greg Kolz via CityFolk]
His latest single, “Sidewalk Rose,” was met with enthusiastic applause as he skillfully blended bluesy lyrics with a classic country sound to create a thoughtful and engaging tune. 

Soon after, Fred Eaglesmith took to the stage with his signature country twang, delivering heartfelt renditions of “Trucker Speed” and “Katie.”

Meanwhile at the TD Stage, Charlie Edward made a memorable entrance. The London, Ont., based artist showcased his grandiose vocal talents and charismatic stage presence, captivating the audience with a series of unreleased tracks.

The confident young artist rocked out to several of his unreleased songs including “Addicted To You” and “Are You Happy Now?

“It’s Sept. 12 today, and this song is called ‘Sweet September,’” Edward announced before diving into another unreleased track.

Before signing off for the night, Edward gave an electrifying rendition of his latest single, “Bad Looks Good.”

“You guys are the reason rock ‘n’ roll still exists,” Edward said, acknowledging the crowd’s palpable anticipation for the evening’s headliner.

Attendees had gathered as early as 5 p.m. to secure prime spots for Greta Van Fleet’s performance. Several fans sported the band’s merchandise, while others donned 1970s rock’n’roll-inspired outfits.

When the moment finally arrived, the night’s headliner took to the stage with flashing lights and intense intro music, heightening their grand appearance.

Kicking off with an energetic rendition of “Caravel,” Greta Van Fleet had attendees singing and swaying along immediately.

“Don’t ya feel it?” shouted lead singer Josh Kiszka before drinking a shooter of Fireball and bursting into the next song. 

The stage erupted with blasts of fire and a dazzling light show as the band delivered a nostalgia-filled set.

From their performance style to their lyricism and talent, the band clearly took inspiration from cult favourites including Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin

Fan favourites “Safari Song,” “Black Smoke Rising” and “Heat Above” were performed with such fervour that each song seemed to outshine the last.

Flawless solos showcased the band’s individual talents, while their collective energy created a mesmerizing experience for the audience.

During frequent guitar and drum solos, Kiszka briefly disappeared from the stage, only to reappear in increasingly elaborate outfits, each more eye-catching than the last.

Near the end of their performance, Kiszka descended from the stage to throw a cascade of roses into the crowd, further electrifying the collective euphoria of the evening.

After delivering a dramatic set of spectacular performances, the audience couldn’t help but yearn for more. With encore chants ringing out, Greta Van Fleet reappeared to deliver a lengthy rendition of “Highway Tune.”

Featured image by Sean Sisk.