Iggy Pop rocks the TD Stage with his headline performance at CityFolk's opening day Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

Ottawa’s iconic annual CityFolk festival made a triumphant return on Sept. 13. Gloomy clouds and crisp weather didn’t damper excited attendees’ spirits who eagerly awaited showcasings from talented rock ‘n’ roll artists. 

The night began with a performance by Busty and the Bass. The Montreal-native collective performed eclectic, whimsical and layered songs, including “Kids” and “Baggy Eyed Dopeman” from their 2020 album Eddie. The electro-soul band grooved with the audience as they put modern spins on retro sounds.   

Next, NOBRO took to the Courtside stage and commanded the audience’s attention with their dynamic presence and bright flashing lights. The high-energy performance of their popular track, “Where My Girls At?,” whose lyrics detail starting a band with friends, summed up the garage punk band’s stage presence: Unapologetic, angsty and all-female. 

The crowd was engaged throughout NOBRO’s entire set, especially during “Let’s Do Drugs,” when everyone head-bopped along. As the night went on, the festival grounds thickened with rock enthusiasts and middle-aged dads eager to see the night’s headliner. 

Busty and the Bass perform on the TD stage at CityFolk in Ottawa, Ont. on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

Throughout the evening, anticipation grew for iconic 70s punk godfather Iggy Pop. Fans grew excited and reckless in the minutes leading up to his performance slot. By the time the headliner took the stage, the crowd was wall-to-wall, fully backing onto the VIP area. 

Iggy Pop started his set with a bang as he ran onstage wearing a black vest, which he quickly ripped off to continue in his signature shirtless style. His famously unique stage presence was engaging and memorable. He knocked over the mic stand several times and put the mic in his jeans so he could gesture to the crowd, who responded by screaming, laughing and singing along. 

“Fucking thank you!” he exclaimed several times in gratitude. 

Iggy Pop performed classics including “Raw Power,” “Lust for Life” and newer content, such as “Modern Day Ripoff” from his 2023 album Every Loser. During fan-favourite “The Passenger,” the crowd sang the “la la lachorus proudly while swinging back and forth.  

Considered a must-see performer, Iggy Pop’s eccentric and enthusiastic sound did not disappoint. As he closed out day one on a high note, rock and folk lovers left the Great Lawn with plenty of hope for what was to come in the remaining days of the festival.

Attendees wait for CityFolk’s opening night performances to begin in Ottawa, Ont. on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

Featured image by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan.