Allison Russell (left) with Ganessa James (right) give a soulful performance on the Courtside Stage at CityFolk on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

CityFolk day four delivered unforgettable musical experiences under sunny skies. The festival’s Courtside Stage and the TD Stage platformed phenomenal performances in front of an electrified crowd, making Lansdowne Park the ultimate hotspot for music enthusiasts.

The evening kicked off on the Courtside Stage with an exhilarating performance by Kristine St-Pierre. She sang a variety of songs from her album Call Me Crazy and EP La Promesse, which both feature songs in English and French. 

St-Pierre began her set with just her guitar, generating a stripped down, authentic tone. When the band later joined for certain songs, the contrast was engaging, setting aura of enthrallment for the rest of the night.

Following St-Pierre’s performance, blues singer Mikhail Laxton took the TD Stage by storm. From the KuKu Yalanji Tribe in Mossman, Australia, the artist moved to Ottawa in 2020 with his family. He released his self-titled album in 2023. 

Laxton treated the crowd to soul-stirring renditions of tracks such as “Streams,” a song for his wife, and “Four String Cowboy,” about his complicated relationship with his father. 

His stage presence was alluring, fostering an intimate connection with the audience as he bared pieces of his life through the music.

Andrea Ramolo (right) performs with Mike Celia (left) at the Courtside Stage at Ottawa’s CityFolk on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2023. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

Andrea Ramolo then donned the Courtside Stage for her second ever career CityFolk appearance. Ramolo’s look featured an all-black jumpsuit and iconic red lip, complimenting her powerful performing aura. 

Ramolo’s presence drew people in right from soundcheck, and the numbers only increased as she opened her set with “Road Kill.” Ramolo and her guitarist used guitar pedals, which added an eerie dissonance to her opening song and left the audience wanting more. 

Ramola also showcased songs from her most recent album, Quarantine Dreams, including “End of Time” and “My Way Home.” 

Back over at the TD Stage, TikTok sensation David Kushner reeled in an audience as he played popular songs from his album, Miserable Man, including “Daylight” and “Mr. Forgettable.” 

Following Kushner, over on the Courtside Stage, festival-goers were blessed with the appearance of Allison Russell, a breathtaking performer whose energy shook the ground. 

Alongside her all-woman band, the poet, multi-instrumentalist and activist’s presence was enchanting. Russell harnessed the stage’s platform to raise awareness about issues close to her heart, including racism and homophobia. Her fervent passion overflowed, captivating the entire audience.

Russell performed songs off her albums The Returner and Outside Child, including “Eve Was Black,” “Demons” and “Hy-Brasil.” If attendees were unfamiliar with Russell before the performance, she certainly made a lasting first impression. 

Meanwhile, the night’s crowd grew bigger and louder at the TD Stage in anticipation of the night’s headliner. 

Fans gave a warm welcome to blues-rock band Kaleo. Starting off with a snazzy guitar intro, they opened the set with “Break My Baby.” The rockers had the crowd singing and clapping along, as they introduced songs from their albums Surface Sounds and A/B, such as “Broken Bones,” “Automobile” and “Backbone.”

To the audience’s disappointment, CityFolk day four eventually came to a riveting close, marking the end of a night filled with thrilling performances and unforgettable experiences.

Featured image by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan.